1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dale Hansen: Well said!

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by NJ22, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,541 Messages
    1,224 Likes Received
    example?
  2. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Active Member

530 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    A
    Ah and now we have come to the root of the problem.

I must stop feeding the fire especially with my position on the issue.

Someone with your opinion is allowed I guess.
  3. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,541 Messages
    1,224 Likes Received
    The topic is simply "is the NFL ready for an openly gay player." If the answer is "NO", then that position should be backed up as all other lines of public and private professional and trade work have stipulations precluding discrimination on sexual orientation. As long as people continue to defend a position that is discriminatory to another persons livelihood, there will likely continue to be attention drawn to it. If the answer is "Yes or who cares" then the reporter moves to the next interview.

No one is saying anyone has to condone or bless anything counter to ones core beliefs, but people do have to be professional, mature and accept that they share the world with many people who arent carbon copies of I Love Lucy. Saying or posting or declaring "I am not comfortable with playing football with a gay teammate" is fueling or creating the drama more than someone saying he is gay. I cannot walk into the bank I work at tomorrow and state that "I am not comfortable working with homosexuals" and expect that the company gets rid of them. It would be a career limiting move on my part and has no bearing on the actual work product but my inability to do a job without personal beliefs interfering with my production.

Who cares what someone does in their bedroom? He should be judged on his football skills. He should be promoted or released based on those skills. He has stated he is not an activist, he "came out" now probably on the advice of the PR firm he hired to let the story die down before the draft. If it came out on draft day he would definitely fall a few rounds. Now this will begin to fatigue by April and he'll be less of a story.

Perhaps some owners and GMs take him off the boards simply for the fact he is gay. That may not come back to bite them because Sam is not projected to be elite 1st round talent. But if he does turn out to be formidable, it was a pretty petty reason
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.