1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dallas Cowboys among divisional threats

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 1, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,886 Messages
    3,833 Likes Received
    By Elliot Harrison
    Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network
    Published: June 18, 2013 at 11:42 a.m

NFC EAST
    2012 champs: Washington Redskins
    Likeliest threat in 2013: Dallas Cowboys

Why Dallas?

The Redskins and Cowboys played their butts off for the NFC East on the last Sunday-nighter of the regular season in 2012. Some Tony Romo interceptions and a shoulder injury to DeMarcus Ware sealed the deal. Expect this division to be up for grabs in 2013. Romo is coming off of a fine campaign, considering the poor play of his line and DeMarco Murray's injury concerns -- and the essential elimination of the Cowboys' running game. Defensively, the Cowboys are switching to a 4-3 under former Tampa 2 guru Monte Kiffin. The thought is that the new-look unit will keep plays in front of itself and create more turnovers. Except for at safety, Dallas has the personnel.

How it can happen:

» It starts with a bit of redundancy: create more turnovers. Can't hammer this home enough. In 2012, Dallas finished tied for 28th with 16. Washington had 31. Think about that.
    » The offensive line can't play any worse than it did last year. Subtle improvement, starting with the arrival of first-round draft pick Travis Frederick, could go a long way.
    » Everyone I've spoken with thinks Murray is a special talent. However, a player's best ability is his availability, and Murray hasn't been -- available, that is.

See the other divisions: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ivisional-contenders?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver
  2. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    I think injuries were key last year... If healthy I expect 10 wins this year.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,895 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    Agreed. Defense failed the worse and injuries decimated it. The offense will be better and hopefully we'll have a weaker schedule although don't count on it. Going from a top ten in strength to a weak schedule has historically meant on average about 2.3 victories. Not counting on that and suspect we'll have a strong schedule. I think it won't matter for us about making the playoffs but its an interesting stat.