1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas Cowboys Training Camps 1960 - 2012

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    In honor of the countdown timer to Training Camp being added to the site I thought I'd give you a little information about the Dallas Cowboys Training Camps. I hope you will find this interesting.

In 1960 the Dallas Cowboys split up Training Camp. First they met in Delafield, Wisconsin at the St. John's Military Academy. Later on they met in Forest Grove, Oregon at Pacific University.

In 1961 they met in Northfield, Minnesota at St. Olaf College. Word is Rose was one of the groupies. (10 points to all who get that.)

In 1962 they met in Marquette, Michigan at Northern Michigan University.

From 1963 to 1989 the team met in Thousand Oaks, California at California Lutheran College.

From 1990 to 1997 they met in Austin, Texas at St. Edwards University.

From 1998 to 2001 they met in Wichita Falls, Texas at Midwestern State University. In 2001 they also met in Oxnard, California at the River Ridge Sports Complex.

In 2002 and 2003 they met in San Antonio, Texas at the Alamodome.

From 2004 to 2006 back to Oxnard, California and the River Ridge Sports Complex.

In 2007 back to San Antonio, Texas and the Alamodome.

In 2008 back to Oxnard, California and the River Ridge Sports Complex.

In 2009 back to San Antonio, Texas and the Alamodome.

In 2010 the Camp was split between San Antonio, Texas at the Alamodome and Oxnard, California at the River Ridge Sports Complex.

In 2011 the team returned once again to San Antonio, Texas and the Alamodome.

For those keeping track of insignificant details like I do that means the Cowboys were in Thousand Oaks, California for the 5 Super Bowls under Landry, and Austin, Texas for the 3 in the Jerry era.

In 2012 the Cowboys are returning to Oxnard, California and the River Ridge Sports Complex. The team is set to arrive on July 28th. The players begin arriving after that. On July 30th the Kickoff Party is going to launch at 1:30 PM Pacific time.

Due to stipulations in the new CBA there are not scheduled to be any 2 a day practices. At least none that I know of. So starting on July 31 and running until August 17 the daily practices will be held at 2:30 PM Pacific time. Mornings will be reserved for film sessions and walk throughs.

Sunday August 12th there will be walk through practices only before the team heads to Oakland for the first pre-season game. The 17th will also be a walk through and then pack up as they head to San Diego for the 2nd pre-season game.

After the second game the team will return to the DFW area for the remainder of the pre-season. On July 25th, before they head to Oxnard, the team will hold a one day practice for rookies and injured players at Cowboys Stadium.

The Cowboys will host the rams and Dolphins in a 4 day span on the 25th and 29th before they prepare for the season opener against the Giants on September 5th in Giants Stadium. The first NFL game ever played on a Wednesday.

NFL cut down days are August 27th from 90 to 75. Then August 31st to 53.

It's July folks. Get happy, Cowboys football is right around the corner.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Which reminds me. It's now July. Training camp quickly on the way.

I shall dub thee "the Danny Coale show".
  3. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I'm in agreement. I think he is going to wind up being something special for the Cowboys over the years. I sure hope so.

I also think Barrett Jones our first pick in the 2013 draft will also be something special. We might have to trade up and spend a little extra to get him. Plays offensive guard, tackle and center at an elite level and is definitely an "RKG". Exactly what the Boys need.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,918 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    Wow thanks for the info. I was actually looking for this the other day.
  5. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,259 Messages
    1,485 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info.
    what stands out, and as you said, the SB's came from when camps were in Oxnard. But's that's not the reason why, or what I was looking at.

The last 10 years, too much moving camps around, too many split camps. Just get a place and stay with it long term. Conssistency. Not that this is the reason for the long playoff / SB contending team we don't have. But it does stand out.
  6. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    Thousand Oaks.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,918 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    You mean Thousand Oaks and Austin? We haven't had much success at Oxnard.

I agree with you, we need to keep training camp at one place. Especially now with the new rules limiting practice time, we need to focus all our time/energy to that.
  8. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,259 Messages
    1,485 Likes Received
    Yes Thousand Oaks, thanks.

I'm still recovering from my drive back home and getting my morning coffee.
  9. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    Breaking it down, most to least.

Thousand Oaks, CA...27 Camps
    Austin, TX...8 Camps
    San Antonio, TX...5 and a half Camps
    Oxnard, CA...5 Camps (including 2 half Camps) This year makes it 6.
    Wichita Falls, TX...3 and a half Camps
    Marquette, MI...1 Camp
    Morthfield, MN...1 Camp
    Forest Grove, OR...half Camp
    Delafield, WI...half Camp
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,918 Messages
    5,325 Likes Received
    Those Wichita Falls camps used to be brutally hot. I think it should say 2001 in the OP.
  11. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    By state...

CA...32 Camps (Plus one to be added this year.)
    TX...17 Camps
    MI...1 Camp
    MN...1 Camp
    WI...1/2 Camp
    OR...1/2 Camp
  12. Big Country

Big Country Rolling Thunder

3,716 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I remember the camps in Wichita Falls TX. Talk about hot!! My brother and I attended a couple of those and the last time we went, we nearly fell out at the heat there. I think it was a 114 degree heat index. Needless to say you have to be tough tough and of course hydrated to withstand just being out in it, much less participation in a pro football training camp. There was even a first aid tent nearby in case people started passing out from heat exhaustion.

Another thing I remember during the Wichita Falls training camps is the offensive vs defensive drills and Aikman passing to Irvin. His release was like a cannon-shot, and when it hit Irvin in the hands, you heard the WHAP of the pigskin in Irvin's gloves. That was just totally awesome. You could also tell how much Irvin worked on running routes because he ran them full speed and never so much as flinched until the millisecond he broke into his final move to complete the pass route. One play he was running against Kevin Smith (post achilles injury) and he was running his trademark comeback route, and he nearly made Smith break ankles as he completely fooled him. Needless to say Smith grabbed a handful of jersey so Irvin's comeback was immediately short... All the spectators saw that and let out a loud BOO!!. It was hilarious as Smith turned around frowning and shouted ahh Shut Up!! That was classic.

Oh those training camp memories. I wish they could be a little closer once again.
  13. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    :bow:
  14. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,151 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    I know I'm coming at this several years after the fact, but in the interest of historical accuracy I just wanted to add that in 1960, the Cowboys started training camp in Oregon, then they went to Wisconsin, not the other way around, according this Fort Worth Star-Telegram article:
    jobberone likes this.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    I love your stuff. You should post more. In the Fan Zone, too.
  16. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,151 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Thanx for the kind words. Unfortunately, as is evident from this nit-picking post, I don't have an original thought in this fat empty head of mine. I have the utmost respect for guys like Hostile who can think up original ideas for posts like listing all the training camp locations. When you think about it, it's obvious. But Hostile actually did it, whereas I merely come in after the fact and amend it. So if Hostile is reading this, I don't mean to criticise, I was just correcting the record for later readers. I hope he (and others) understand. There's a place for original thinkers like Hos and hopefully there's room for guys like me who can build upon the great work of others like him.
  17. jobberone

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    There's always a place for someone like you; humble, knowledgeable, and likable.
  18. Hostile

118,781 Messages
    2,508 Likes Received
    I prefer to learn stuff Fred. I have never been ashamed of learning. Thank you.
  19. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,151 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Thanx Hos. You'fre the Master, I'm merely the Student.
  20. jobberone

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    Oh, stop it. I don't stop in here a lot but when I do I go straight to your posts for the goodies.