1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Dallas looking at numbers to replace Ware

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by alicetooljam, Mar 12, 2014.

1. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Active Member

545 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    Doesnt exactly make you feel confident its going to get much better...

Dallas looking at numbers to replace Ware

March, 12, 2014
    Mar 12
    3:00
    PM ET
    By Todd Archer | ESPN.com

IRVING, Texas -- Once the Dallas Cowboys said goodbye to DeMarcus Ware on Tuesday, their plan was to replace their all-time leader in sacks with a number of guys.

New defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli wants to bring defensive linemen at quarterbacks in waves the way the Seattle Seahawks did it in 2013. It is a plan that makes sense and it’s how the Cowboys operated in their Super Bowl days of the 1990s.

So far the Cowboys' answer to losing Ware has been Jeremy Mincey and Terrell McClain, who have agreed to deals, according to sources. They aren’t done shopping by any stretch, but how much better are these guys compared to the likes of Jarius Wynn, Everette Brown, Drake Nevis, Corvey Irvin and the rest of the linemen the Cowboys trotted out there in 2013?

Mincey has 20 sacks in his career. McClain has one.

The Cowboys are hoping these guys turn into George Selvie, whose seven sacks last year were more than Ware. Selvie was a training-camp gift. He developed into a solid player, but can the Cowboys bank on another seven-sack season (or more) from Selvie in 2014?

For all of you asking about Jared Allen or Julius Peppers, look at who the Cowboys have targeted so far. If the price tags on Allen and Peppers come way down, then maybe the Cowboys will have a chance to make a deal. If they don’t, then forget it.

For years people have criticized Jerry Jones’ spending. Now when he shows some restraint, people wonder what the heck he is doing.

Mincey and McClain won’t make anybody forget Ware, or maybe even Anthony Spencer, but they won’t be the end of the Cowboys’ work to rebuild the defensive line either.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflfreeagency
    casmith07 likes this.
  2. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Like it or not, this is the state of the franchise. All of you wanting the team to restructure Carr, Lee etc. haven't learned a damn thing. This is how it NEEDS to be for at least this season. This franchise is absolutely handcuffed. We will have to show we can build through the draft, like every other successful franchise.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,574 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    Complete hilarity. "CONTRACTS ARE TOO MUCH" now "WHERES THE BIG NAME PLAYER"

Rifrickendiculous.
  4. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,071 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Agreed, draft and smart sparingly used free agency.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  5. texbumthelife

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    I don't get it man. From thread to thread the same people flip flop on the issue. It makes no sense. No wonder Jerry is terrified to tear down and rebuild. This fan base wouldn't know what to do.
  6. phildadon86

phildadon86 Active Member

548 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    I have a feeling Jerry is going after Johnny Football. Dont ask me why
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Spot on. Claim the cap doesn't matter, promptly applaud the team for creating cap space with "necessary" cuts.
  8. ceerrece

ceerrece Active Member

285 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    As i mention on another post, this is what we have, Dallas is paying the due for their enormous amount of bad choices, including excesive contracts, bad drafts and poor scouting, etc.
  9. Tawney88

Tawney88 Well-Known Member

1,298 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    He is going cheap because he doesn't have the cap space. He had to let go of Ware because of the ridiculous contracts he hands out (see Carr,Romo, and Ratliff). People act like Jerry has learned something but he hasn't, he has no choice because his stupidity put this team in this situation.
    Doomsay, ceerrece and Common Sense like this.
  10. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Seems like the "throw crap at the wall and hope something sticks" plan has migrated down the food chain from executives, to coaches, and now the playing staff.
  11. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I think what Archer is missing is that what worked for Seattle and the 90s Cowboys was sending waves of players who could get after the quarterback, not waves of players who can't.
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,235 Likes Received
    You may want to look at that Seattle DL roster.
  13. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

3,434 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I think we can top our 17 different dl record this upcoming year!
  14. texbumthelife

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Seattle had 3-4 very good pass rushers last season and rotated them accordingly.
    Common Sense likes this.
  15. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    This is what is being said

@evansilva It's incredible how little talent#Cowboys have on their defensive line right now. Like a collection of UFL types.
    8:58pm - 12 Mar 14

I've always liked rotations. I know we had more talent in the 90s but when guys are fresh they can wear on an oline. I just worry how much pressure we can get with rookies and what we have.
  16. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,520 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    Seattle signed the equivalent of Hatcher and Melton last year in free agency.
    coult44 and McLovin like this.
  17. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,933 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Ah yes! Yet another infamous record for our trophy case... SMH :mad:
  18. texbumthelife

3,470 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    Pretty scary. Think other teams might have an idea of what we will be looking at in the draft? Good friggin' luck finding a trading partner and not getting fleeced.
  19. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,057 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Mincey and McCain......I don't care anymore. The one thing I wait for all year since the Super Bowl ends and for the first time since I started watching football I honestly don't even care.....and to think I actually gave a **** in the Anthony Wright/Quincy Carter/Ryan Leaf/Clint Storner/Chad Hutchinson days. That is how much of a joke this team has become, I just don't give a **** anymore.
    LongSnapper likes this.
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,235 Likes Received
    They had Bennett (8.5 sks) and Avril (8 sks). Then Clemons (4.5 sacks), McDonald (5.5 sks). Not exactly any big name superstar players.