1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dallas/Ratliff money situation

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 2, 2014.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    Did he fail the physical?

I thought he passed the physical. And then did the conditioning drill and subsequently "pulled a hamstring"?

I would think they would take physicals before they are allowed out onto the practice field.
  2. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,038 Messages
    159 Likes Received

It seems logical that all players would take their entry physicals prior to participating in the conditioning run.

And there was absolutely no reason for Jay Ratliff to attempt the run if he believed he was still injured.

When Ratliff was released in October, it was with a designation of 'failed physical.'

That was done because the Dallas Cowboys were reportedly informed by Jay Ratliff's agent and doctors that he would be unable to play in 2013 due to his injury requiring a full year to heal.

A week after being released, Ratliff's agent reported the DT was medically cleared and ready to workout for prospective teams.

Ratliff signed with the Chicago Bears on November 2nd.
  3. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    I would think that if Ratliff would have voiced an issue prior to participating in the conditioning drill, that the Cowboys wouldn't have forced the issue.

I don't think it is a leap of faith that Ratliff planned out the "Hey I pulled my hammy during the conditioning run" ruse well before the start of training camp as a way to get out of his contract.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,725 Messages
    1,821 Likes Received
    Ratliffs agent

"He absolutely 100 percent wants to play football again," Slough said. "He has a passion for the game. He has a love for the game. He has absolutely no intention of not playing again in 2014. If he could've played this year he would've been on the field. Those people who ever questioned his loyalty or maybe questioned his desire to play, integrity, all those things, those questions were misplaced. But again I think a lot of that was no one really understood the severity of the injury Jay suffered and the result was there were unrealistic expectations for his return being bantered about."

Slough said doctors advised Ratliff that it would take a year to heal. The Cowboys, however, did not place Ratliff on injured reserve after the surgery last season, hoping he could return for a possible playoff appearance that never came.

Slough said he and Ratliff never felt the need to clear up the confusion. He said the relationship between Ratliff and the team doctors was "strained." In August, Ratliff alluded to tension with the team's medical staff.

He did most of his rehab away from Valley Ranch in the offseason as well as during this season.

Another part of Ratliffs agents descrubing the injury

“This was a very serious injury,” Slough said. “Muscle was ripped off the bone – the pelvis – in two places. The tendons that are attached to the pelvis from inside the leg, and then from the abdomen at the top of the pelvis, were both ripped apart. It was a very vicious injury. This injury takes a long time to heal… So the fact that Jay is not yet healthy is not a surprise.”

Cowboys release him and 2 weeks later he signs with the Bears? This is clear he lied
  5. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    No question.

Again, he passed the physical prior to the conditioning run... And he apparently did not bring up his "torn muscle from the bone" injury.

He ran and "pulled" a hammy. Yeah right.

Yeah it's easy to blame Jerry for giving the extension to the guy, but Ratliff was devious.
  6. Bluefin

3,038 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    That's how I feel, too.

The worst part is, Jay Ratliff did this after the team converted most of his 2013 base salary into a new signing bonus during the off-season.

So Ratliff made $3.66M last year as a Dallas Cowboy without playing a down.

That bonus money, along with three fifths of Ratliff's 2011 signing bonus ($6M), is the amount Dallas will hopefully be able to recoup if they can prove he violated his player contract.
  7. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    What a con. SMH.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,725 Messages
    1,821 Likes Received
    Yeah, he turn into a DBag real quick.
  9. Bluefin

3,038 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    If I remember correctly, wasn't Jay Ratliff seen jogging around on a practice field a day or two after he "pulled" his hamstring in the conditioning run?

I believe it was discussed on Talkin' Cowboys.
  10. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,869 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure you're right, because we kept hearing (at the beginning of camp) "Oh Ratliff is practicing on the sideline and should be participating (in full practices) very soon."

Yeah.

Granted I follow the Cowboys more than any other team but I do not know of another situation like this with another player and another team.