1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

David DeCastro may not be worth a first round pick

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by supercowboy8, Feb 28, 2012.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,302 Messages
    293 Likes Received
  2. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I dont agree with this at all, but thought I would post what one writer thinks. I guess a writer knows more than scouts.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,978 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I'm obviously pro DeCastro, but I appreciate an opposing view. I don't think any of the points raised in the article are so far fetched. I'm just not sure I see that "franchise cornerback or pass rusher" in this draft being there at #14.
  4. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    And folks, this is why Kirwan doesn't have a job in the NFL anymore.
  5. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    I see one franchise CB and one pass rusher. The thng is those players go in the top 10. Sitting at 14 your not going to get a franchise CB or pass rusher.
    Claiborne and Ingram, after that its Decastro.

Also yes DeCastro has a weakness, he will be a rookie, all rookies have a weakness. Luck has problems he needs to fix. The thing with DeCastro is his problems are small and he is a smart kid that works hard. That weakness he has can be fixed, that doesn't mean he isn't a 1st round pick just because he has a weakness.
  6. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    Fortunately, there's a prospect worthy of such a pick in this year's draft class: Stanford OG David DeCastro. An interior lineman in the Top 15? NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock doesn't think it's a ridiculous suggestion.
    "I think with DeCastro, when you get him, you're going to plug him in Day 1, and he's going to be your starting guard," Mayock indicated, per the Star-Telegram. "He could be your starter for the next 10 years. That's what the Cowboys need. They need to get younger and more athletic in that offensive line. They started it last year with Tyron Smith. The Bill Nagy kid is not bad. They need to continue that."
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'd pose this question to Kirwin: Who is the sure fire "franchise" CB at pick 14? Fitzpatrick? Jenkins? And who is the sure fire franchise pass rusher at 14?

IMO, DeCastro is likely to be the most certain "franchise" pick at 14.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,269 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    If we upgrade with a veteran center, I would feel good with Smith, DeCastro, Vet, Nagy, and Free next year. Really good.

Heck we might even have Philip Blake at Center.
  9. Bull Frog

Bull Frog Active Member

699 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Me either. Kirwan is ignoring that a guy like DeCastro can help Murray, Jones and Romo become franchise players. We need someone to anchor the middle of the line.
  10. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Well not neccessarily-how many guards have been picked in the first round over the past ten years? How many corners? How many pass rushers?

Kirwan is not the only person who retains this theory.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,006 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    why would it matter how many G have been taken middle of the 1st? Those who have like Steve Hutchinson went on to have great careers. Reason so many scouts rank DeCastro this high is they see his talent.
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    You know, I kind of agree. Kind of, in that, DeCastro is definitely worth a first round pick but I don't believe he will be to the Dallas Cowboys. I like DeCastro just fine, but our team does not put a premium on interior lineman.

I think Zeitler or Silatolu will be the guard we come away with.
  13. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,444 Messages
    421 Likes Received
    DeCastro is one of the best interior lineman prospects in recent memory. You can find negatives with ANY player, but the fact is, DeCastro would be a day 1 starter and would stabilize one of our guard positions for the next 8-10 years. If there's a sure-thing in this draft, it's DeCastro IMO.
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    All I am saying is that Kirwan doesn't see the value in taking a guard on the first round, that's not the reason he is no longer a decision maker in the NFL. You gave me Hutchinson as an example of a premium guard which is fine, but how impactful was he really? Before you mention playoffs after 2006, remember that the Vikings were the #1 rated defense for a big chunk of his early years with the Vikings. The offense was pedestrian.
  15. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,837 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    DeCastro is overaggressive? Sounds like a good thing if the guy is smart enough to figure things out with the right coaching.

Anyway, didn't Kirwin say Ware would not be a good pick in the 1st round because he was from a small school? I guess he was right.
  16. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I'll take Gil Brandts assessment over this one
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I would feel better about DeCastro being a Top 15 pick if there was actually tape of him taking on and dominating a legitimate NFL caliber talent defensive tackle one on one. The Pac 10 only has one NFL quality DT talent, Taamu, and reportedly he and DeCastro rarely went head to head. Piledriving UCLA and Washington State's defenses doesn't impress me too much.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,890 Messages
    4,241 Likes Received
    I would have felt better about Drafting Ware if he went against better talent while in the sun belt and OC games. ;) :p:
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,269 Messages
    2,696 Likes Received
    I like over aggressive. You mean he won't block his man for 2 seconds and then stand around with his hands on his hips looking fat while Romo lays on the turf?
  20. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,337 Messages
    957 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Kirwin on this. He has his opinion and he feels that's how it goes for the 14th pick. That's fine.

When it comes to the draft I generally get my information from Mike Mayock, who seems to really have his game on when it comes to players, and I'll take his opinion over pretty much any others.