1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Alumni Profile: Charlie Waters

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 14, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,087 Likes Received
    Catching Up ...
    Alumni Profile: Charlie Waters
    DallasCowboys.com Report

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=2439D119-CCC2-E3B5-727EEDDD34704651

How does a quarterback turned wide receiver in college end up being a defensive back turned safety in the NFL?

"I was a pretty decent athlete in high school, played some receiver and quarterback. Actually, at that point, baseball may have been my best sport. I ended up at Clemson and won the starting quarterback job my junior year, but I was just OK. So midway through the season, the regular starter, Billy Ammons, came back from an injury and I moved to wide receiver. I felt really comfortable there and I was pretty good. Ended up catching 68 balls (for 1,196 yards) and was All-ACC.

"So the 1970 draft comes around and the Green Bay Packers call and say they are taking me with their next pick in the third round. Great, sounds good. Then the phone rings again and it's Gil Brandt with the Cowboys. First thing he says is, "Can you back peddle?" And without really thinking about it, I said, "Sure, absolutely." The Cowboys were a fun team at that time, and it was exciting, something new."

Was the transition difficult?...