1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DC.COM Blog: No. 9 History (And Just Beyond) Since ‘03

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 16, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,890 Messages
    3,837 Likes Received
    Posted by rphillips at 2/15/2011 12:57 PM CST on truebluefanclub.com

Here’s a look at some recent No. 9 picks (and just beyond):

2010: C.J. Spiller (9), Tyson Alualu (10) Ryan Mathews (12)

2009: B.J. Raji (9), Michael Crabtree (10), Brian Orakpo (13), Malcolm Jenkins (14), Brian Cushing (15)

2008: Keith Rivers (9), Jerod Mayo (10), Jonathan Stewart (13), Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (16)

2007: Ted Ginn (9), Patrick Willis (11), Marshawn Lynch (12), (13), Darrelle Revis (14

2006: Ernie Sims (9), Jay Cutler (11), Haloti Ngata (12), Kamerion Wimbley (13)

2005: Carlos Rogers (9), DeMarcus Ware (11), Shawne Merriman (12), Jammal Brown (13)

2004: Reggie Williams (9), Dunta Robinson (10), Ben Roethlisberger (11), Jonathan Vilma (12), Tommie Harris (14)

2003: Kevin Williams (9), Terrell Suggs (10), Marcus Trufant (11), Troy Polamalu (16)

Obviously there were some hits and misses at No. 9, and not all of the above-mentioned guys have been Pro Bowlers or even consistent impact players.

But overall, the total list is a pretty good indication the Cowboys can (and must) get a good one that high, particularly with an NFL-record 56 underclassmen declaring for this year’s draft.

Read the rest: http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,136 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    So............you're telling me there's usually more than 10 good players per draft?
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,873 Messages
    2,232 Likes Received
    Of course not. All of the good players are picked by #6.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,136 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    Well crap.

Shoulda tanked that last game.
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,560 Messages
    1,066 Likes Received
    At least it's not by #8! That would suck :D

-Reality
  6. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,815 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    Yea we should've.
  7. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't have a clue who the Cowboys will draft but partly that's because I don't know if we will trade down or not.

If we can't rpt can't trade down, then I suspect we will draft BPA at need position. If it CB Am... still on the board, then believe Cowboys will take him. If he's gone, then we take the best DL player still on the board.

If the players we really want are gone & we able to trade down to pick up an additional 2nd rounder, we probably draft BPA at OT or DE/DT. Then in 2nd round with our 9th pick we take best S on the board & our 2nd pick in 2nd round we either draft a CB or OG/C. With those 3 picks, we will have addressed our 3 biggest problem areas. 3rd - 7th rounds can be addressed at other need positions including RB, LB, another S, etc.
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spiller to early but I expect more on his rookie year

B.J. Raji They got that one correct

Keith Rivers been solid but unspectacular then again he plays for the Bengals and maybe a better player in a real organization

Ted Ginn was a reach and was never a top 10 pick. I am not sure what the hell that GM was thinking on Ginn that high in the draft.

Ernie Sims Played in Detroit put up some tackles on a bad Detroit team and was with Philly last year solid player maybe not worth the #9 pick but not a complete worthless player

Carlos Rogers the guys been so up and down his entire Redskin career not sure how to rank him

Reggie Williams bust and more bust

Kevin Williams was a hit at NT for a long time with the Vikes

So I guess the moral of the story stay away from WR and none pass rushing LB's
  9. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Suggs, KW, Ngata, Raji, Mayo, Willis all went in the neighborhood of 9.

We need some luck for that caliber of player to fall to us this year.