1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Broaddus: Breaking Down Cornerback Brandon Carr

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 8, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,319 Messages
    3,185 Likes Received
    Posted by bbroaddus at 5/8/2012 10:05 AM CDT on dallascowboys.com

For the last three months I have done nothing but break down college players for the NFL Draft. Many of those thoughts I have shared with you on DallasCowboys.com and our internet shows. For the next few days I am going to focus on the free agents that the club signed during the free agency period and how they will fit into the plans for the 2012 season.

There were three cornerbacks that teams were studying hard before free agency opened: Brandon Carr, Brent Grimes and Cortland Finnegan. Each player has their unique style in the way they play. Carr is a press-man player, Grimes is more technically sound and Finnegan is the type of guy you would like to play in the slot. Grimes was given the franchise tag by the Falcons so he was taken off the market, and teams were left to work between Carr and Finnegan. The St. Louis Rams hired Jeff Fisher as their head coach, so there were many in the league who believed Finnegan would get an offer from his former coach at the Titans to help the struggling Rams secondary. That offer came, leaving Carr for the Cowboys to deal with, but all along he was their first choice.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/b...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,920 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    I would think Claiborne would be the better fit on the left side in the long run. He should be the #1 CB on the team.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,646 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Plus, Carr has played primarily on the right. Use the guy to his strengths and let the rook slide right into that #1 role.
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,514 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    I presume that Broaddus, or whoever writes on his behalf, isn't much of a writer. Because what he just said above is that the staff thinking its a pass coverage problem not a pass rush problem is WRONG!

I'd be surprised if Broaddus would say that since he's now on the Cowboys payroll.

Though I'm sure Risen Star considers it a Freudian slip. ;)
  5. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,013 Messages
    2,573 Likes Received
    It was more on the DB than on the rush but both are culpable.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,001 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    When you're 7th in sacks but 23rd in pass defense...

Well, I think that should tell even the most football naive what the real problem was with the Cowboy defense.
  7. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No editing? Hmm
  8. nalam

nalam The realist

1,282 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    LOL! I had the same thought !
    :laugh1:
  9. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received

Did you watch any of the games down the stretch? Especially the division games. Eli Manning and Michael Vick could have had cups of coffee with the amount of time they had in pocket. No matter how good their secondary is, if that doesn't get better, they will still be mediocre to bad defense
  10. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    62 Likes Received

LOL You obviously don't go back and watch the games. Because if you could watch the 1st Giants game again and say that, you'd laugh at yourself too.

Ware had like 4 sacks of Vick the 1st game and had multiple sacks in another game. QBs like Vick present a different challenge when you're not blitzing them as Dlineman have to maintain rushing lanes more than just getting to the QB.

Ratliff actually owned their rookie Center in the 1st Eagles game but Vick kept eluding the rush.
  11. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    The thought among the staff was that the pass rush was not the problem in 2011 but the coverage was.

That's what I've been thinking too. The opposing quarterbacks didn't have to hold the ball very long.
  12. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received

I will have to echo your comments here because the 1st TD that we gave up in the season finale game, Newman couldn't cover Cruz on a simple 5 yd
    out route for less than 2 seconds.

The secondary was the problem, we were able to get pressure upfront and lots of it.
  13. JPostSam

JPostSam Active Member

990 Messages
    210 Likes Received
    don't know what you saw, but i saw quarterbacks making quick passes to open receivers to avoid our pass rush.

i absolutely expect our sacks -- and interceptions from hurried passes -- to increase this year, due to improved coverage.
  14. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    It's fairly obvious based on our off season moves that they think the secondary is the problem. I don't think this was a casual "maybe it's our secondary" decision. It was probably alanlyzed to death before we went out and got new cornerbacks, a safety, and a new secondary coach.

The other issue was the ability to stop the run with the front seven. If you look at the type of players we drafted including McSurdy, It's obvious that was point of emphasis as well.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    I saw a terrible secondary and a terrible pass rush all year.

I don't care if Ware had 4 sacks in the Eagles game. Mike Vick was living comfortably in the pocket all day in that game.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,001 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    The pass rush could be better.

But no comparison between "worsts".

The pass defense aced that test.
  17. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Agreed. While the sacks tell part of the story, they don't come close to telling the whole story. The fact is, there were far too many times when our pass rush just disappeared, often at the most important times. Yes, our secondary was horrific, but two wrongs don't make a right. To suggest that our pass rush was "fine" is ridiculous. Fortunately, I think they know that, despite what they tell the media.
  18. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,551 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    And yet, by all measures, we had a middle-of-the-pack defense last year. Amazing how we did that when we were "terrible" on the front and back ends.
  19. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    Our defense had 50 QB hits and 192 QB pressures as opposed to Baltimore's defense that had 58 QB hits and 128 QB pressures.

Does that paint a better picture for you?
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received