1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Broaddus: Film Study Review Of Cowboys’ Upset Win Over NYG

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 7, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,706 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

Some observations from the film room at Valley Ranch.

Romo outplays Manning
    The stat line from the game for Tony Romo[IMG] read 22 completions and 29 attempts for 307 yards and three touchdowns. What that line didn’t tell you was his ability to change plays, avoid the rush and give his team hope when there appeared to be none. When the ball is in Romo’s hand, you always have a chance for a play, ask Kevin Ogletree[IMG] who was targeted 11 times and coming away with two touchdowns.

Where Romo is different than most quarterbacks is his ability to keep his eye level down the field while all things around him are breaking down. Most quarterbacks struggle with their ability to feel the rush but see what is going on down field. Both touchdown passes to Ogletree, Romo had to avoid the rush to make those throws. The quarterback on the other side of the field let the rush get to him and saw what we call in the scouting business as “ghosts”. You feel things that are not there and the decisions you make are affected by them. One handled it well and the other didn’t.

KO stepping up
    I have been critical of Kevin Ogletree when asked of my views but I am not here to make this about me. I want to make this about Kevin Ogletree, who still does things that drives much nuts like we saw in the Miami preseason game but for the most part these last four weeks he has shown toughness and a play making ability that I was sure did not exist.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ver-NYG-/691945be-bb3c-463f-ae43-4280115fe302
  2. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,310 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    I mentioned Tony's pocket presence during the game and likened it to Tarkenton. Does anyone else come to mind?
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,419 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received
    These types of articles are my favorites.

If every thread was about film-study and player evaluation... Sheer happiness. :)
  4. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

659 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I think Collinsworth made that comparison too during the broadcast.
  5. QT

QT Active Member

1,901 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I love listening to Broaddus. When he comes on, I sometimes sit in my car (when I get to the destination) and just listen to the entire segment. I hated that he left ESPN radio for that other radio show.
  6. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The way he ducks the RDE when it looks like he'll be blindsided reminds me of Roger Staubach. Also the little jump to square his shoulders when he throws across the field after scrambling.
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    He throws on the run better than Staubach or Tarkenton, and he's more elusive than Farve.

However, he's not as tough as Farve (no QB ever was) and he doesn't have Staubach's gun or presence. Tarkenton was overrated.

Romo is a lot like....Romo.