1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Broaddus Provides Scouting Report On New Safety Will Allen

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 28, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,082 Messages
    5,602 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

Games watched: New York Giants, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns.

Played both as a free and strong safety in this scheme but the majority of his snaps were played down the box….when deep was a physical filler space…not afraid to come forward and attack the line of scrimmage….as mentioned, played around the line while Ryan Clark was deep…scheme showed that single-high look….was used off the edge as a blitzer…will take on blockers and shed them….is physical around the line when he had to redirect tight ends and receivers…..likes to get his hands on his man…did a nice job of jamming Martellus Bennett then carrying him to the sideline on the out route…good position in route…functional pedal with solid reactions….some gather and roundness to break more than straight down the line.

I thought his reads and awareness was good….understood how he needed to play in zone coverage….rarely was out of place….would funnel man to next level than break to where he needed to be…reacted to the tight end in the middle of the field…good on assignment versus the Redskins when playing the read-option….will chase the ball all over the field… physical, take-on tackler….missed one in the open field against the Giants when Victor Cruz was able to spin around him….dependable coverage on the goal line….no blown assignments…will come off his man to adjust to the ball…nice job of reading the screen and working himself in position…plays with an attacking style….didn’t see him sit back and wait on anything…As mentioned, did see him play as a true free safety and was not a liability….really like how he was around the ball….

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ll-Allen/d3c67824-f6c0-4178-88db-b66e598fa251
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,704 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    where is the typical negative comments from Broaddus? He usually has something to say? (note: I didn't click the link)
  3. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

916 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    Every time I read his nonsense it reminds me why he's no longer in the business.
  4. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,763 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    Thanks, sounds like a solid pick-up.
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    904 Likes Received
    IMO it sounds like he was really well coached from the best in the business in Lebeau. Hopefully it will continue with Kiffen. ;)
  6. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Interesting that they are considering Wilber as a potential backup for Ware. Probably his best fit in this defense.
  7. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    well said:star:
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,932 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    I thought people were off base thinking that he would play the sam.

I'll be somewhat surprised if Albright plays linebacker in this scheme too.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,643 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    That was Broaddus' opinion, not from Cowboys. Cowboys say that Wilber will compete at Sam and Albright will compete at Sam and play some DE. These Broaddus tweets were after his article.

10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,501 Messages
    6,237 Likes Received
    Yeah, this is the second time I"ve heard it mentioned they'd try him as Ware's backup. Seems like a strange fit to me. He's looking more like a lost man with the switch from 3-4 to 4-3 to me.

Who knows, though. Sometimes the light goes on in the second offseason for these guys. He did light up that ST block in the second WAS game in what was a beautiful hit.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,643 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    I think he's going to surprise some people. Even if it doesn't work out at sam he has pass rush potential.