1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Coaching Changes Hit Defense With Rob Ryan’s Release

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,137 Messages
    6,917 Likes Received
    Rowan Kavner
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – The Cowboys' second major coaching change in as many days occurred Tuesday, as defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was released.

Ryan is the first defensive staff member to be let go after coaching a defense hit by a slew of injuries, beginning with a season-ending Achilles’ injury to safety Barry Church[IMG].

Though the 8-8 finishes of the last two seasons haven’t been viewed at positively, they’re actually the two best finishes in Ryan’s career as a defensive coordinator after stops in Oakland and Cleveland.

Through the early portion of the season, the Cowboys were among the leaders in total defense and passing defense, but they started sliding as injuries piled up.

They finished 19th in the league in passing defense and 22nd in the lead in rushing defense, culminating in a 200-yard rushing performance by Alfred Morris in the season finale.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Release-/85195b94-c6b7-400a-9142-0bd7cb9c47fc
  2. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    That is almost an indictment.
  3. munkee

munkee Member

342 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Yeah, Kavner is turning the knife there a bit.

I sort of feel bad that Ryan was fired so soon, but in the end I think it's for the best.

I was really down on Ryan after his first year. I felt as the season went on his defense was statically worse than Phillips defense from the year before. My only hope was that the lockout and the lack of personal was a major factor.

This year I was impressed with the defenses performance late in the season. That said, the full strength defense was nothing to write home about. The defense just didn't seem that aggressive. With all of Ryan's bluster I was expecting a defense that created chaos for opposing offenses. It seemed like the defense was more bend and not break than anything else.

I will give Ryan one major compliment. His defense had heart late in games. The defense could actually stop teams on late game drives. A huge culture change for the Cowboys right there.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,815 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    Tell me who thought he was a good hire then? That's the real sad story.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,053 Messages
    2,972 Likes Received
    I actually didn't, but I didn't know this either.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,680 Likes Received
    This was common knowledge and explained away by the teams he coached for and how bad they were. Something the majority bought into at the time. I did and still do.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    As do I

Ryan is a good 3-4 coach ......... I just never liked the 3-4
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,680 Likes Received
    I don't know how you can't like it. The vast majority of the great defenses in the last decade or so have been in a 3-4.
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    Do not like it.

Give me Giants, Bears, or the late Jim Johnsons Eagles D over any others in the league.
  10. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,600 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    The Steelers seem to like it.