1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Ellis: If Trade For Cook Turns Out Like Holland Deal, Job Well Done

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,583 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    Ellis: If Trade For Cook Turns Out Like Holland Deal, Job Well Done
    Josh Ellis
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ell-Done/57fd2fe4-d3f7-4e63-aa0d-43722bc98a3b

Ryaaan Cooook … he keeps on blockin’ …. He keeps on blockin’ … shake it Ryan. Shake, shake it Ryan.

Well, that remains to be seen, actually, but if the newly acquired swing lineman Cook can be as steady a role player as Montrae Holland was for the Cowboys, then Friday’s trade will have to be considered a win, just like the 2008 deal that sent Holland over from Denver must now be seen, in full retrospect.

Cook won’t be asked to start, at least for the time being, but once he learns the offense, will hold a valuable role as the backup for three positions, the two guard spots and center. A beefy veteran with six years in the league and 40 starts under his belt at only 29 years old, Cook gives the Cowboys more strength, athleticism and experience than a David Arkin. The Pro Bowl probably isn’t in his future, but valuable contributions to the Cowboys’ line should be.

A utility offensive lineman may not seem like an important role, but it is, because players get hurt in the trenches. The playing time Holland received over his Cowboys tenure, and Cory Procter before him, is evidence of that. So a seventh-round pick is not a high price to pay, at all, if the Cowboys believe they can trust Cook, just like a fifth-rounder wasn’t too much to give for Holland, especially considering how dreadful the Cowboys have been in the fifth lately...
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,407 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Maybe not a slam dunk, but not too bad if we're only giving up a 7th rounder.

I like this trade.
  3. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,926 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Cook will be better than Costa when he learns the offense. Even now, without any info about the offense, he is already better than Arkin.

Arkin needs to be gone. Cut him and let him get stronger and try again next season. Cowboys need that roster spot for a real player.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,130 Messages
    8,944 Likes Received
    Where do you get this stuff? Aren't you embarrassed a little bit to just make up evaluations and then publicly draw a bunch of unsupported conclusions from them?
  5. Merlin

Merlin Member

364 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    He reminds me of Kyle Kosier because of his versatility. We can only hope he turns out the same way. Hoping he can be the starting center.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,926 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Only one who needs to be embarassed is the guy that calls HIMSELF an idiot.
  7. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,760 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    ...IMO is the coaching staff has not forgotten the o-line and are trying to improve it anyway they can right now.

Even having capable backups is a positive in today's NFL. If he can begin to challenge for a starter's spot - bonus!
  8. Idgit

33,130 Messages
    8,944 Likes Received
    Good one!
  9. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,605 Messages
    1,349 Likes Received
    He's pretty athletic thats for sure. However, he might need a few lessons from Callahan on how to block. I think this was a good trade - and yes I think he's already better than Arkin.
  10. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    We call them opinions. In case you think otherwise, this is an internet board where people come to waste time, espouse their opinions, and keep up with other like-minded fans. There's even a large contingent who fancy themselves football gods, professional talent scouts, and outright professional coaches. In short: don't take yourself so seriously...nobody else does (that goes for all of us...including me)

For the record, Arkin DID get his arse handed to him ALOT during the preseason. I won't go so far as to say the team should drop him, but he is NOT ready to go yet. As far as Cook...obviously there is concern about portions of the line (pretty much par the past few years), but may have just been a shot at an upgrade in depth more than replacing anyone.
  11. Wrangler87

Wrangler87 Active Member

2,045 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I guess it's just a typo that DC.com's official roster has Cook listed at Tackle?
  12. Idgit

33,130 Messages
    8,944 Likes Received
    Thanks for the detailed explanation of the word "opinion." Let me see if I have this right: it's ok if it's my "opinion" that people should base their own opinions on something they can support rather than in something they made up and would like to pretend is accurate? And it's my "opinion" that they should be embarrassed being so emphatic about something they haven't been able to witness even once. Am I doing that right?

You're probably exactly right about Cook, and, obviously, Arkin struggled at Center, but nobody's saying otherwise.
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,583 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    He played tackle for Minnesota...
  14. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

7,066 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Sign Holland, drop Dockery. Holland and Cook would give us great options as backup interior OL.