1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Looking Closer At Newman’s Contract

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,428 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    Looking Closer At Newman’s Contract
    Posted by nickeatman at 7/19/2011 12:40 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/n...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

While it's looking like NFL teams will get three days to negotiate contracts with their own players before a proposed start of free agency, let's look beyond the guys like Doug Free and Stephen Bowen and maybe Marcus Spears in that group.

It’s not just for free agents, but the veterans who might have to restructure their contract.

Look at a guy like Terence Newman, who is expected to count an even $10 million on the salary cap in 2011. I have a good feeling Newman will not be counting on $10 million on the Cowboys’ cap – or anyone else’s – this season. That doesn’t mean Newman won’t be around with this team, but he’ll likely need some restructuring.

Of course, the tricky part is finding a replacement...
  2. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,870 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Even though it won't be coming out of my bank account, the mere thought of spending $10 million on Newman makes me squirm just about as much as not having a top-flight cornerback in place to relieve him whenever he turns up injured. Overpaying washed-up vets like him has become far too commonplace in Dallas for far too long, while restructuring will ensure his extended presence. Ouch.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,662 Messages
    4,534 Likes Received
    What's a fair salary for a number one CB these days?