1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Scout’s Notebook: SD May Cut Another Laurent Robinson

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,141 Messages
    6,926 Likes Received
    Bryan Broaddus
    Football Analyst/Scout

I’ll have a chance to study the practice film later, but just wanted to give an idea of what I observed live from Monday’s practice with the Chargers:

Too Tight?
    One positive thing from a scouting perspective is when you work with another team live, you can walk all over the field and scout their players up close.

Head scout Tom Ciskowski and pro personnel assistant Will McClay were noticeably working from drill to drill checking out these Chargers players. Remember this was the team they got Laurent Robinson from last year. From my scouting eye, the position that the Chargers look a little long at is tight end.

It looks like they will probably have to carry four on the roster, but if they don’t, rookie Ladarius Green and fourth-year man Kory Sperry might be worth a serious look. Green is a very smooth athlete that catches the ball well. Sperry is not as fluid but has sure hands.

Read the rest: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...Robinson/3508b761-1c04-455a-8c7b-ab52fa681019
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,992 Messages
    4,513 Likes Received
    I hope they work on the ILB coverage.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I thought he was going to scout their WRs. Neither of those TEs is better than Hanna.
  4. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Not a good sign when the other teams FB is running away from Bruce carter.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    esp since he is our fastest ILB by far:eek:
  6. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,027 Messages
    2,259 Likes Received
    [youtube]fIY2E556BdY[/youtube]
  7. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well if they cut Green, I would be first in line to pick him up if we could, although I really doubt they will cut him.

With this athleticism, length, and upside, he would make me think about getting rid of Phillips.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I'm sure they will, it was one practice they did a pretty good job sat vs these same chargers. Lee being upset in my view is good, it was just a practice but he took it personally.
  9. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    They aren't going to cut Phillips for that guy. The only choice would be between Green and Hanna.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Depending on what happens with Wit, they could sign him and it does not have to be between Hanna and Green. It could easily be between a guy like Green and Szczerba. Throw in Flarhety and you got a nice little competition.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Exactly. I doubt Hanna goes anywhere to be honest. He is producing every time he's on the field.

Get that blocking down (which he is getting better at) and I think he's better at route/hands than Phillips.

Now come bash my Sooner homerism. I'm here all day.

Really pulling for JH here in Dallas.

Boomer
  12. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Even if Witten isn't ready GM 1, they will just go with Phillips and Hanna. They aren't going to pick up a rookie or 1st year player and expect them to contribute on game day(Giant game is an early starter for the league too). We would likely see more use of the FB and 3/4 WR sets.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    That may be so but you have to have at least 3 TEs on the roster. You can't practice without at least three. If you run a double TE set, you have to have at least 4 and really 5.
  14. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    The Cowboys have always carried only 3 TEs and if one is injured for a short time they just run less TE sets or use an OL or the FB in that capacity. As I said before they wouldn't pick up one of those young guys to fill that role. They would be useless as a late addition anyway. If they could find a vet blocking TE then they might be tempted to carry a 4th but thats a big if on one coming available.
  15. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,518 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    I would love to get Green......he was my pet cat this year. If we could nab him, between him and Hanna we would be set at TE IMO!
  16. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well I understand what your saying, your just going off past history. But if a guy like Green is available, a thought should be given to changing that history. He might flop, but he could also be very special and a tandem of him and Hanna for the future would be hard to pass up.

That said, I don't think he will be available, just too much upside.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    This is not true. The Cowboys carried more TEs when we use a Two TE offense under Parcells for a time. I think your are wrong. The Cowboys have always said that they would always try to improve the team and this is no different. We picked up Laurent late a few seasons ago when he was cut by SD. Why wouldn't we do the same for a TE?

I am not saying that they will do this but you say they absolutely won't is ridiculous because they have shown that they will, in fact, do this very thing in the past.
  18. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    FYI when Parcells was coach, Jeff Robinson was the deep snapper. That's what got him on the 53 man roster not his ability to play a little TE. Although he was a much better TE than LP Ladoucer is a LB.
  19. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,252 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    the Chargers are more likely to cut Hester(FB) and randy McMicheal the TE because of age.
  20. speedkilz88

20,859 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    Yeah, thats a possibilty.