1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Sharp Corners

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,898 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Sharp Corners
    Position Series: Tough CB Decisions Looming
    Nick Eatman

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=C4B87870-B264-D775-A5F915A6389D4EDA

Pressing Matters: For the second straight year, it seems like the biggest question mark facing the Cowboys centers on the cornerback position. Now, it wasn't exactly the biggest need last year, but there was a question whether the Cowboys would sign free agent Nnamdi Asomugha, which would've likely replaced Terence Newman. We know what happened with that back in training camp, with the Cowboys narrowly missing out on Asomugha, who signed with the Eagles. That kept Newman in the fold and although he had a nice stretch of games midway through the season, he had injury concerns to start the year and ability concerns to end the season. How he struggled against the Giants in the season finale suggests the Cowboys have to be thinking about an upgrade at left cornerback, which would mean releasing Newman and the final three years of his contract.

2011 Evaluation: Consistency was obviously a big issue for all of the players at this position this past season. Whether they were consistent in their performance or just to stay healthy during the season, all of the cornerbacks had their share of issues as the 16-game season went on.

Mike Jenkins was probably the best of the bunch, but his issues were mostly injury-related. That began in training camp when he was hampered with a nagging stinger injury. He then suffered two different injuries during the first week of the season, but managed to play through most of it until another hamstring injury kept him out for a month later in the season.

Penalties were a big problem area for Jenkins in 2010 but he corrected that this past season in a major way...
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,582 Messages
    1,555 Likes Received
    yeah and the fact that Eli mostly had time to drink a cup of coffee if Ware did not get to him meant nothing?
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,898 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Depends on whether or not one likes coffee. Or a Giants fan.
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I still can't get over the fact that Scandrick is scheduled to make over $7 million next season.

Jenkins is clearly a much better player. What are we going to pay him next off-season? 10 Million a year? Neither of them are top CB's in the league, but when it's all said and done, we will pay them like they are.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,252 Messages
    2,678 Likes Received
    Newman should do management a favor and file his retirement papers.
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,252 Messages
    2,678 Likes Received
    Dude it's incentives laden. He is only $10M guaranteed and he's scheduled to make $5.3M against the cap...making us halfway done with his cap hit.

But I would honestly release him. We can release him and have no cap hit next year and allocate that money elsewhere.

I bet you'll see something like that happen if we secure a guy like Finnegan in free agency.
  7. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

I get that, but I don't have faith in Jerry to let him go since he just signed him last year. So I'm preparing for him to count against the cap