1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Spears' Apparent Return Excites Defense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jul 30, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,282 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    Class Reunion
    Spears' Apparent Return Excites Defense
    Rob Phillips
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=78650680-D2A4-46B2-B586A2DEF5E559E4

SAN ANTONIO -

News broke midway through Friday's afternoon practice that defensive end Marcus Spears had reportedly agreed to a new five-year, $19.2 million contract with the Cowboys.

Afterward, Spears' closest teammates were happy to hear the five-year starter would be joining them in San Antonio soon. "You've got to have those big, fast guys that can hold up, that can two-gap, can do those things. Sort of those non-selfish guys," outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware said. "I always give credit to guys like Jay (Ratliff), Igor (Olshansky). That's the reason I make plays because I'm getting one-on-ones and they're taking those double teams. "I'm glad we have Marcus Spears back."

Spears is glad to be back. Although the Cowboys haven't announced the move, the sixth-year veteran tweeted Friday afternoon, "I'm home D town. (T)hanks for all the fans who wanted me to stay and the ones who didn't!! God always has a plan and he knew this was home!" The Cowboys needed him back home. Three of their top four defensive ends - Spears, Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher - became free agents on Tuesday. Bowen and the Redskins agreed to a five-year, $27.5 million contract on Thursday, and Hatcher could get away, too.

Spears has been a fixture on the defensive line since Bill Parcells drafted him 20th overall in 2005 to facilitate the switch to a 3-4 scheme...
  2. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,514 Messages
    546 Likes Received
    I'm certainly happy to have Spears back. That's for sure.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,668 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    Glad he's back, wouldn't go ao far as to say excited since he's been here his entire career anyway. I was hoping for some lineup changes on our mistake prone and wildly inconsistent defense, but looks like it's going to be up to Ryan to turn it around.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,974 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    was there zero here about NO or what? The whole "watery eyes" thing never got any coverage
  5. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Take note that Ware knows that Igor does his job.

Honestly he's not nearly as bad as alot of you think. He holds up the line well, and has been a big part of Ware being able to operate with space on that side of the line and rack up all those sacks and pressures.
  6. Bill Wooten

Bill Wooten Active Member

616 Messages
    43 Likes Received
    Igor just needs to learn when NOT to dance after a play.