1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Stop Gap: Can We Finally Give Spears His Due, Please?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 28, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,056 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
    Email | Follow nickeatman on Twitter

IRVING, Texas - Since the 2005 season, when the Cowboys first made the switch from a traditional 4-3 defense to the 3-4, we've heard how difficult it is to evaluate the defensive ends.

No longer should they be compared to guys like Reggie White or Bruce Smith, or on a Cowboys level, Ed Jones, Harvey Martin or Charles Haley. The 3-4 end is different and must be judged that way.

Well, that part hasn't changed - at all. But what should be changed by now are the perceptions of Marcus Spears. Take your pick:
    • He's been a bust for a first-round selection.
      [*]He's never putting pressure on the quarterback.
      [*]He doesn't show up in the stat sheet, especially with sacks.
      [*]He's not any better than the backup defensive ends of Stephen Bowen and Jason Hatcher.
    Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/editorial.cfm?id=5A9B203D-9AA6-C0F3-5268A8C2AF634E1F
  2. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    hope we can work out a deal to keep Spears in Dallas for a long time.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,197 Likes Received
    Better re-sign him.
  4. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,658 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    I'm really hoping that Jerry uses the bye week to sign a few of the many potential FA's we have. Spears is on the top of my list.

I really don't want to go into the off-season with Spears, Bowen, and Hatcher unsigned.
  5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Finally people understand how good of a player Spencer is... One of my favorites because stopping the run is the #1 priority in the NFL.
  6. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,653 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    You'd think if you already realized how good he was before the rest of us, you'd at least reference Spears by his name instead of Spencer's. :laugh2:

Seriously though, in terms of 3-4 ends, Spears is not just a good, but a great player. He single handedly shuts down running lanes on just about every run play that teams run against us. I've always felt that way since we started playing the 3-4. Your ends in a 3-4 are just as important as the OLBs, because if they don't play well, you get run on, and if you get run on, everything else falls apart.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ooops! My bad! Yeah Spears! Spencer is pretty good too...
  8. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Spears is the MAN. Hatcher is not big or stout enough at the line of scrimmage. Hatch cannot hold the point of attack the way Spears can.

I hope we sign him to a long term deal next year. If not, our run D will suffer badly without him.