1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.com: Temporary Role Could Increase Church’s Value

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Nov 11, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Temporary Role Could Increase Church’s Value
    Posted by nickeatman at 11/10/2011 12:44 PM CST on dallascowboys.com

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/n...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

While the Cowboys are definitely hopeful that Sean Lee will be back in action this Sunday against the Bills, and can function with that wrapped-up left wrist, at least they’re working on some solid contingency plans just in case.

One of which we saw some last week against Buffalo included backup safety Barry Church working into the nickel packages as a linebacker closer to the line of scrimmage.

Church responded with one of his most productive games of his career, with a career-high tying six tackles. Those six tackles also tied for second-most on the squad Sunday and he did so in a limited role.

“He did a really good job,” head coach Jason Garrett said of Church. “He's a guy that's always taken advantage of his opportunities shows up in the kicking game, very physical very instinctively and he stuck his nose in there a number of times and he actually caused a holding penalty on an offensive lineman before then, just very instinctively kinda getting away from potential blockers and making some plays on the runners. I thought he did a nice job and took real advantage of that opportunity we gave him.”

Church said taking on 300-pound linemen wasn’t an easy adjustment early in the game....
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Reminds me of the way Woodson used to play in passing downs.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,979 Messages
    2,178 Likes Received
    Bringing in Church as a LB in nickel situations was a good move on the part of Ryan. I have been very pleased thus far with the play of Church when he has been called on
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like what Church brings on the field...
  5. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    You said it=Church "Brings It".
  6. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,691 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    For sure.. I like how Ryan will find a way to use all of his guys on the squad. Good coach.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,979 Messages
    2,178 Likes Received
    I'm sure the injury to Lee played a big part in that
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,869 Messages
    889 Likes Received
    I'm sure watching Brooking and James get clubbed over the head like baby seals against the Eagles played an even larger part. :laugh2:
  9. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Coaching isn't rocket science... You get your best play makers on the field.
  10. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    :D I hope Church plays half the snaps today.
  11. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,469 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

This really made me laugh.
  12. dallasdave

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    That is a good one and true too.:bow:
  13. CCBoy

CCBoy Benched

16,573 Messages
    1,090 Likes Received
    Casmith07 pointed out last season, the ability in Church and he liked his potential. Good call there.:starspin
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,080 Messages
    2,503 Likes Received
    Would be awesome if we somehow found us a nickel linebacker already on the roster in Barry Church.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,080 Messages
    2,503 Likes Received
    ;) pet cat since the draft.
  16. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,388 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I don't know if I was ever sicker watching this defense than watching Brooking and James get continually abused in the run and pass game. It isn't their fault, they tried. Its the coaches fault for putting players who suck on the field.