1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC.COM: Top 10 Free-Agent Priorities On The Current Dallas Roster

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 10, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,320 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
    Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – In about a month, the Cowboys will be gearing up for the start of the free-agent signing period.

Whether or not the Cowboys will be aggressive in signing new players, they will have some decisions to make regarding their own free agents, both unrestricted and restricted.

So here’s a look at the Top 10 Cowboys’ free agents, based on priority to keep in 2013.

10. Ernie Sims[IMG] (UFA) – One of the many signed off the street to simply fill in at inside linebacker, he caught on quick and showed some glimpses of why he was once a Top-10 pick. In this 4-3 scheme, he has the versatility to play either position, but could probably be a good fit in the nickel.

9. Kenyon Coleman[IMG] (UFA) – Signed mainly to play in the 3-4, coaches would say how underrated and underappreciated Coleman was. After his triceps injury, the Cowboys missed his production as a run stopper. In this scheme, he probably won’t be a great fit. Plus, he turns 34 in April.

8. Victor Butler[IMG] (UFA) – He could be much higher on this list depending on Anthony Spencer[IMG]’s status. If Spencer doesn’t return, it’s possible Butler could get re-signed, unless he gets starter-money with another team. The scheme shouldn’t matter much for Butler, who plays mostly in the nickel, which is a four-man front regardless.

Read more: http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...-Roster-/c3650132-715b-4f71-bb64-3dd75b704f4e
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,168 Messages
    2,753 Likes Received
    I'd like to see all signed but at a cap friendly price only.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,646 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Really? The only two I'd want back are Spencer and Ladouceur :laugh2:
  4. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,671 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Sims was solid last year...the way we went through LBs, i'd be thrilled to have him around. Butler is another who did pretty well in rushing the QB, but not sure how he would fair in true LB form in a 43.
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,646 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    I liked Sims, and wouldn't mind bringing him back. My point was more that I could care less if all of the guys other than the 2 I mentioned were gone.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,938 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Spencer is going to cost too much money. JP is someone that gets no notice specifically because he never does anything wrong and frankly I would make sure of him before anyone else.
    Sims would be a guy to keep if he is not too expensive.
  7. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,205 Messages
    1,175 Likes Received
    Think you mean L.P but i agree. The guy is the best in the game. I remember when Dallas couldnt execute a long snap before him. was a total nightmare on punts and Fgs
  8. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,139 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    I don't want to see Butler go as I think he has been underutilized and may blossom somewhere else as so many have done after leaving Dallas.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,938 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    yeah I meant LP. I remember the last time we let a top LS go to save a few bucks and it was NOT pretty.
  10. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    Sims, Frampton, Phillips, Ladouceur and Spencer are the only ones I care about on that list.

Sims would be a good backup/strongside candidate. Frampton is a better version of McCray IMO. Phillips keeps us from having to draft another blocking TE. Ladouceur is one of the best at his position, which isn't a high-paying position. And Dallas needs to franchise Spencer to see what he can provide as a 4-3 end after his standout season.
  11. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    In terms of bang for your buck, LP is #1. That guy is just solid.

I would also move a few guys up like Sims. He's not going to be an expensive signing and I think Dallas needs more guys who aren't expected to be superstars but are solid and just do their jobs.