1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Free Agent Spears Still In Waiting

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jul 20, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Posted by jellis at 7/20/2011 10:42 AM CDT on dallascowboys.com
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/j...com&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

As difficult as the NFL lockout has been for fans, there are several hundred players who probably have been agonizing even more - the soon-to-be free agents.

Take Marcus Spears, for instance, a six-year starter who has been in limbo now since landing on injured reserve with a calf muscle tear halfway through last season. While he had expressed hopes to stay with the Cowboys a while back, he never got an extension from the team.

Joining "The Ticket" (KTCK-1310 AM) in Dallas on Wednesday, he said even as the work stoppage appears to be winding down, he still has no idea where he will play next year.
  2. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,317 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I kind of listened to his interview with Norm. he said his wife really loved her time that she lived in the Reston, VA area and he would welcome playing for Wade Phillips again. I guess that means the Redskins and Texans would be high on his list if he had to shop his services.

If Dallas wanted him and offered him a reasonable deal, he sounded like he would certainly stay. He mentioned they were building a house here and love living in the area.
  3. cowboyjoe

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Yes, he wants to stay in dallas, if just a reasonable deal. I would offer him what you paid hatcher, maybe $100,000 more to keep him, I think spears would really blossom under rob ryan being lined up all over like the packers do.
  4. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,295 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    I think Spears is good for what he is asked to do, I hope that he is able to come back to Dallas
  5. cowboyjoe

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    :pray: Me too buddy, I dont trust Hatcher, always gets injured, and first things out of his mouth when he thought he was going to be FA, woohoo big money, cant wait to see who signs me, something like that.

Id rather have spears who wants to stay here and just be treated right.
  6. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,372 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    I too would rather keep Spears than Hatcher but i heard that interview too and he doesnt sound so confident of a good offer from us.
  7. cowboyjoe

28,091 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I think it all boils down to what Rob Ryan demands. :starspin
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

13,479 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Free Agent Spears Still In Waiting
    Posted by jellis at 7/20/2011 10:42 AM CDT on dallascowboys.com

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/j...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

As difficult as the NFL lockout has been for fans, there are several hundred players who probably have been agonizing even more - the soon-to-be free agents.

Take Marcus Spears, for instance, a six-year starter who has been in limbo now since landing on injured reserve with a calf muscle tear halfway through last season. While he had expressed hopes to stay with the Cowboys a while back, he never got an extension from the team.

Joining "The Ticket" (KTCK-1310 AM) in Dallas on Wednesday, he said even as the work stoppage appears to be winding down, he still has no idea where he will play next year...
  9. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think he is one of the more underrated players on this team, and I would really like to have him back.
  10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,656 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Despite a consensus of opinion on this thread indicating a desire for Spears to return, there's considerable doubt as to whether the team, itself, is prepared to pursue that end. For them to lowball him moneywise and not offer him an extension, there doesn't appear to be any real indication that they're wanting him to return. Perhaps the team merely needs some assurance that he would gladly return at a reasonable cost to them. I would hope that's the case. Other than that, I'll just venture a guess that perhaps they're looking for a bit more pass rush production from that position. Without Spears in tow, it's likely there may be some loss stopping the run, though. It's a bit puzzling.