1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: NFC East: The Case For Taking A Chance On Will Hill

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,522 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    to offset that, he also wouldn't count against the 53 man roster while suspended.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,483 Messages
    6,194 Likes Received
    Weed's basically harmless. Or, it's the smoking part that's harmful. Problem is, violating the substance abuse program for little or no reason, repeatedly, is *not* harmless to a roster or a position group. If you can't count on the guy to be there, you can't have him on the roster. And sparking up is not a good enough reason to leave your teammates hanging.

To bad, though. He's a good player if he could follow the rules.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,591 Messages
    1,559 Likes Received
    It just astounds me how stupid those like Hill are; they have it all and they risk it just to be high for a few minutes or whatever. Just plain dumb.
  4. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,289 Messages
    551 Likes Received
    lol. The world as a whole isn't exactly Disney rated G.
  5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,592 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    If Hill is a FS with range and can play single high, then taking a chance on him is a no brainer for the Cowboys. It doesn't matter if Marinelli (or even the corners) wants to play more man/press coverage. Without a good single high safety, Cowboys will be limited in what they can do. Currently, the Cowboys do not have a proven single high safety on the team. It takes diagnostic skills, instincts AS WELL AS athleticism to succeed as a single high safety. Church has one, maybe two, of the 3. No other Cowboy DB has more than that.
  6. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,658 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    I don't see how the club would not consider him after saying they would consider bringing back Josh Brent.

Seems like you can sign him to the same low-risk deal they signed Selvie, base salary only, no signing bonus. They can cut him at any point without effecting the cap.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,483 Messages
    6,194 Likes Received
    It's not the same thing. If Brent were following the same suspension arc, he wouldn't get a chance, either. It's the time in the program and the risk of having the guy unavailable when you need him that's too high with Hill. You can't risk it when you could have given the experience and development time to a young player who'll really be there when you're counting on him. Unless he's always injured like Matt Johnson.
    GloryDaysRBack likes this.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    I think it may be too late for Helman.
  9. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    We aren't interested in hill bc of his baggage. ... But we are ok w bringing brent back
    rockj7 likes this.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,514 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    You just might be right.
  11. rockj7

rockj7 Active Member

840 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Let me get this straight we wont sign a weed head but a drunk driver we will think about bringing back Whatever
  12. rockj7

rockj7 Active Member

840 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Bro I didnt see you posted this but I said the same thing
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    That seems to be the case. Then there are the fans that think bringing in a young , talented player with some baggage is a bad thing because he might take a job away from one of the young players on the roster. I will never understand that . If Hill is better than the players on the current roster and he offers an upgrade, isn't that s good thing? If he doesn't offer an upgrade, they could cut him. Other then Hill being very immature, what am I missing?
    rockj7 likes this.
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,635 Messages
    1,100 Likes Received
    Brent has shown to much more reliable than Hill. They know Brent and know that he's a good guy.
  15. Chris in Arizona

3,658 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    smoking weed multiple times.... drinking and driving more than once and ultimately killing a teammate....?

Again, can't see how you would consider Brent but rule out Hill.

You sign him to the 2-year deal, he sits out 10 games, and maybe just maybe you get a talented kid for the stretch run. If he messes up at any point OR if Matt Johnson can stay upright, you cut Hill. No harm, no foul.
    jnday and rockj7 like this.
  16. Chris in Arizona

3,658 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    Except that his actions endangered others and caused the death of an actual teammate.

Hill only hurt himself and may would argue not really.

I can't see how anyone is actually making this argument. It would be one thing if we ditched all of the troublemakers and actually followed the "RKG" philosophy. In that case, you say no way to Hill and Brent. Saying yes to Brent makes the RKG idea a joke.
    jnday and rockj7 like this.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    If he could find a less illegal hobby he'd probably be on a roster.
  18. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,126 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Some people are turning this into some kind of moral struggle about the dangers of weed or something, which is completely irrelevant.

Fact: He's been given multiple chances to show he wants to be a part of a team and can't pass a drug test. He obviously has no desire to actually play football and less respect for his teammates that counted on him. He's unreliable and selfish and if given a roster spot on a team it's only a matter of time before he smokes himself into another failed drug test and gets suspended indefinitely, leaving you pissing in the north wind. No thanks.

Also, I am completely adamant about alcohol being worse than marijuana, but Brent's mistake was one mistake and one I'm sure he took to heart. Will Hill has had multiple mistakes, knowing full well the consequences of his actions, and he just didn't care. Regardless of the severity of the outcomes, that fact cannot be ignored.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Both guys clearly have issues.

In the midst of Brent's DUI situation, he tested positive for weed.

Both guys need to show they're more interested in football than they are their vices.
  20. Chris in Arizona

3,658 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    February 21, 2009
    After drinking at Station 211 on Green Street in Champaign, Josh Brent speeds down Lincoln Avenue in a borrowed Oldsmobile Eighty Eight. A police officer pulls him over, tests his blood-alcohol level, finds it above .11 and places him under arrest.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...ent-jerry-brown-dallas-cowboys/#ixzz33vfcZ9kS