1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DC: Spencer’s Body Responding Well; Goal To Avoid PUP

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by NewsBot, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    The Usual Suspects that seemingly live injured.
    Matt Johnson, Mo Clai, etc...

Not necessarily dogging them, although I guess you could say I am.
    iowast8rs likes this.
  2. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    Ha ha hahahaha haaaaa!
    I liked that...
    honyock likes this.
  3. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,502 Messages
    6,057 Likes Received
    I feel bad for Spencer. He never got his big contract.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Could be but with all the defensive disadvantages in the rulebook, offensive skill players will be on the highlight reels nonstop.

Julio Jones is probably gonna have a big year. He's big and fast and you basically can't do anything but let him run free.

Aaron Rodgers will probably dominate. Hard to imagine a defender doing enough with all the disadvantages they have to play with?
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,126 Messages
    7,848 Likes Received
    Can't tell if serious.
    Richmond Cowboy likes this.
  6. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    I'll feel bad for you the next time you can't make multi-millions of dollars after making multi-millions of dollars for years.

Wait. No I won't.
  7. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,452 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    Anthony Spencer's situation is said to be nearing a point where he's capable of offering at least parttime help in providing a pass rush if and when called upon. The staff sees his progress on a daily basis and should be in an ideal position to know. It should be of interest to see if and when he'll have arrived at a point where he is capable of practicing with the rest of his teammates. That is usually a revealing indication as to whether or not he is nearing that point. There's also the question if situational help is enough for him to be awarded an active roster spot. That will be an interesting decision to be forthcoming in the weeks to come.

In a similar situation, Rolando McClain's conditioning, by his own estimation, is not yet where it needs to be for him to merit a starting job. In a very recent post, Bryan Broaddus made exactly the same assertion, saying he's not yet capable of playing four quarters of NFL football. Understand that this is not to say he can't or won't arrive at that point sometime in the forseeable future. Nevertheless, it isn't yet the case. Let's consider this comes from someone who has earned a living making such evaluations.
  8. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,950 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    Good to hear but without saying it this sounds like a set back from last week when they said he would be in pads this week. I'm glad their being cautious instead of risking losing him for the season and that that they're still optimistic.
  9. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,854 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    The only reason Spencer wants to avoid PUP is because his pay this year is tied to playing time. I have a sneaky suspicion that he isn't even close to playing and just wants some extra cash. I expect nothing from Spencer this year. As soon as the Cowboys let him practice, he will come up with some injury and then the team will either have to waste a roster spot on him or put him on IR.
  10. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Active Member

558 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    i think the reason he wants to avoid pup is that his money will be next to nothing if he is not on the roster. I doubt seriously if he will ever play much again.
  11. dbonham

dbonham Active Member

313 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I swear a guy goes on IR once in his career and y'all get some very insulting ideas about a player who has given his best years and his health to this team
    adbutcher and Doomsday101 like this.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    Some people do not like any good news, it upsets them. After all they only bring negative to the website without that they have nothing to say. You have a guy in Spencer who back in Feb was having a hard time walking and now he is close to being ready. Took a lot of work and dedication for him to get to where he is now and hopefully he will continue.
  13. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    That's great but just don't explode.

As for me, I am mildly beaming with optimism.
    Corso likes this.
  14. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

2,439 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    seriously its psychotic
  15. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,854 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    Do you want to win now or do you want to live in the Spencer Glory Days of the past? Hint, hint, the Spencer Glory Days weren't all that. They don't call him Almost Anthony for no reason. The Cowboys mistakenly franchised him last year, he signed it the next day or something, and then suddenly developed knee problems. He gave it a go (yeah, rah rah and all that happy horse stuff) but just wasted a roster spot last year along with $10M. Sorry, but I don't see any excitement with Almost Anthony coming off micro-fracture especially when he had trouble getting out of bed and walking 6 months ago.

Like I said, all I see for Spencer is someone who will try to practice, get hurt, waste a roster spot for about the first month or so, and then go on IR. All Spencer is for this year is an insurance policy if we need him sometime later in the season. Put him on PUP and hope for the best. Hopefully, I'm wrong and he will produce and surprise. But, that is not the writing on the wall I am seeing. 75% probability of going on IR for the season if I had to guess right now.
  16. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,272 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    I have a feeling those that bring nothing but negativity and deflate every thread have very infrequent intimate encounters with other humans.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,907 Likes Received
    May be right. lol I understand the frustration I want to see this team back winning once again as well. However when it gets to this point it just comes off as petty, looking for anything and everything to put down this team and the players. Spencer is doing all he can to get back I don't know what more you can ask of a player.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,126 Messages
    7,848 Likes Received
    Well, thanks for painting that picture on my brain that I can't unsee.
    Richmond Cowboy likes this.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    My thought for putting him on PUP has never really been much about his knee, but rather, making sure he's football ready. He, like Rolando, hasn't played in a long time. The list of little things that could pop up without having a training camp to get in shape is long, and he's worth more to us staying healthy for 10 games than he is being nicked up for 16.
  20. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,400 Messages
    865 Likes Received
    Ah love the effort off all.
    I'd love it more if more effort went, consistently, into the actual practice and game-time readiness. And, finally, playing.