1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DCW: Ask Coach Parcells

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, May 29, 2004.

1. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Really?

Q: While your defense played well in 2003, are you worried about the lack of big plays they were able to create?

A: I don't think that is the case at all because we made a lot of plays on defense. A lot. I would say our group probably made more than most teams. We won a lot of games because of our defense.

We play a lot of man-to-man defense in our secondary, and that style of play is never very conducive to generating interceptions. But at the same time, I think our guys did a nice job of playing within the system and making sure we didn't give up the big play that could get us beat.

There are certainly things that we can continue to improve on and those are what we have been working on these last five months. We have to continue to work this year to eliminate the dumb penalties that hurt us at times last season. They were very, very instrumental in some of our losing efforts. We have to eliminate some of those. We also have to eliminate some key turnovers on offense. We asked a lot of our defense at times last year to come up with a stop after a turnover and that can get tough. We were successful last season when we held onto the football. When we've not, we haven't.

Seems to me that the question was related to the defense, as well as the answer.

Could he not have been talking about Defensive penalties? Or did we have none?
  2. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,207 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    So I guess big Bill just threw that key turnovers on the offense in there for grins.

The Tuna rambles when he talks, we all know it. Parcells was talking about penalties on the offense and defense.
  3. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Looks like he specifically mentioned offense when talking about it.

When a question is posed about the defense, you don't need to make it clearer when talking about them. If you change the topic during your answer, you do.

Seriously though, who gives a crap? Like I said, people are going to read this more than what is probably even meant by him. You came on here accusing me of misreading something which I don't feel that I did.
  4. The Curly One

The Curly One New Member

587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some of Quincys turnovers were because he is not a very accurate passer. BUT most of them was because he having to run for his life every single down.
    When Quincy has to immediatly run to his right to get away from the guy Larry Allen just let blow by him or Troy Hambrick get hit AS SOON AS HE GETS THE BALL then you might need to look elsewhere for the problem.
    Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Patrick Ramsey and David Carr down in Houston are very good quarterbacks with ZERO protection. Give any one of them protection and blocking and they will go the Super Bowl or at least deep in the playoffs.
    Houston, Washington and the Cowboys will never have a very "good" quarterback or runningback until they get some blocking and protection. That is just the facts. Curly
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,809 Messages
    3,299 Likes Received
    Great article and good anaylsis from TwoDeep3. From the few reports we have seen this offseason, QC has put in the time and effort needed to improve both in the classroom and on the field. With an improved offensive roster, the ball is squarely in his court and his time to produce is now. At least we have a owner and head coach that realize we need to look towards the future in case QC can't get it done.
  6. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    parcells brings in a new starting RB, a new starting WR, new starting OL, yet keeps our starting QB for another season and people keep pointing the finger at him. any blind idiot shoud figure out that carter will be our starter again because parcells believes he can be successful (as if he isn't already) and win games. if collins, warner, brunell, feidler, etc were passed over, don't you think that says a lot about parcells' confidence in carter? i think parcells knows carter is a good starting QB who will continue to improve, and he's giving him that opportunity for a very good and very real reason. just like last season, he feels no FA out there is a significant upgrade. now chew on that for a while...
  7. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    But don't you understand? They brought in Henson. The "savior" of the Dallas Cowboys 3 years removed from football. They say that since someone was brought in that it means baaaaad things for Quincy, yet when someone is brought in to another team, like the Eagles, who already had 3 QB's on their roster before the brought Blake in, it's for other reasons.

Anytime that ANY available QB is let go, he will undoubtedly be coming to Dallas. Just read the threads....every QB that has been released has been rumored to be coming here.....even QB's that haven't been released are coming here. :rolleyes:
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,809 Messages
    3,299 Likes Received
    That is soooooooooo true. :mad:
  9. blindzebra

9,207 Messages
    367 Likes Received

It's funny, being a fence sitter, I still don't see you ever saying a thing when someone says anything overly pro-Quincy, but you always have something to say when anyone says anything negative about Quincy. :rolleyes:
  10. karnak

karnak Guest

If I follow your logic, then Quincy Carter is a better QB than Kerry Collins, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, and Jay Fiedler! :eek: Sir, Quincy Carter does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as these men, because they have accomplished things that set them apart from other quarterbacks. Things like playing in conference title games, playing in Super Bowls, winning Super Bowls, being named Most Valuable Player in the NFL, and, yes, winning the games that they had to win.

And then there are the endless excuses for Carter's poor performances. Such as, he was always running for his life. I suppose Fran Tarkenton's fans used that one as well. :D I guess the excuses bother me more than the inconsistent play, the failure to win when it counts, and all the rest of the things that make me say that Quincy Carter is just not a good quarterback and probably never will be. Here's why. When I'm given a task, I will do everything I can to complete that task to the satisfaction of the taskgiver. Either I get the job done, or I don't get the job done. No excuses. Why should Quincy Carter be any different from the rest of us? Why shouldn't we hold him to the same standards by which we are judged? Frankly, if I were to give a performance assessment of QC, I'd have to say he was not performing at the level which is expected of him. He has had 3 YEARS to get the job done. It's way past time to put up or shut up, IMO.

Thanks for allowing me to vent some of my frustrations.
  11. DLK150

DLK150 The Quiet Man

1,311 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That's not really a very good analogy. There's a big difference between bringing in a prospect(Henson) to compete with or push a QB who hasn't fully proven he can be THE man (Carter), and bringing in a journeyman vet (Blake) to backup a QB who is firmly entrenched as their permanent starter for the foreseeable future (McNabb).

QB rumors are commonplace with all teams that don't have their QB situation fully resolved, not just the Cowboys. The entire league knows that Carter isn't a lock to be the QB of the future for Dallas, so any feasible options that become available, you hear a rumor about the Cowboys.

Whether Carter remains our No. 1 QB of the future will likely be determined this season either during or after. He will have to show appreciable improvement or at the very least a measure of consistency(Of the positive sort.) to remain in that spot. Until he has, the rumors will persist.
  12. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Well. I guess you haven't read every post of mine then have you! I "always" have something to say huh? Why don't you get your facts straight before you blunder? I that was true, I would have over a thousand posts by now, and you know it.
  13. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    No, people have been here saying that Henson is the next best thing since who knows what.

People will still be on Carter even if he DOES win a superbowl. They will say it was all about the defense.

I know that he needs to get better than he has been, never denied that. But I'm not stupid enough to put Henson alongside Aikman and compare the two when Henson hasn't done squat in years. Others do. I'm more of a realist and have had quite enough of the people that bash any player for no good reason. They even bash Lynn Scott and he's hardly ever on the field. I've had enough of them as well.

Either I'm fed up with it all and not letting people get away with it, or it's the alcohol. I'm leading towards it being the alcohol. :D
  14. MikeD17

MikeD17 Benched

678 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Two deep man you got issues, Parcells has said numerous times Qc was apart of winning those ten games and he should get credit for that. He's constantly supported Carter and is going in with him as his starting qb again.

seriously take those blinders off man your making yourself look very foolish
  15. Batman

Batman New Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    InmanRoshi thought he was being funny but was to dumb to realize no one was laughin at this:

The funny thing is that someone like you probably did flush $100 down the toilet on a QuINTcy Carter jersey.
  16. blindzebra

9,207 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Well, since only Hos is over 1,000 posts and he's a Mod on the site, I'd say your top 5 ranking in total posts lends support to what I said, ya think?

Since you liked challenging me to show a post, let see some of your own, that are critical of the extreme Carter supporters.

I mean that can't be too much trouble for a fence sitter, because both sides should piss you off. So if you are strickly down the middle, there should be well over a hundred posts taking Carter extremists to task by now, and you know it.
  17. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I'm a fence sitter on Quincy.....not the other guys.

I looked at Hutch's collegeiate career and saw that he wasn't all that he was being hyped up to be. I was bashed on the board for it.

Henson isn't NEARLY ready, so there's no way that I could be on the fence with him either.

Go back through what I have posted, if I were only here to rip on people that bashed Quincy, I would be the leading poster now wouldn't I? Do you deny that?
  18. blindzebra

9,207 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    That is it, can't you see it. If you are on the fence about Quincy then you should be telling BOTH sides they are full of spit.

I only see you protect Carter from every attack, THAT YOU RESPOND TO, and not just the stupid ones. I have not seen a single post from you pointing out the down right stupid stuff that comes from the extreme Carter side.

I think a true fence sitter would have to respond to both extremes, otherwise they aren't on the fence at all. Do you deny that?
  19. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,232 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    When I see a post stating that Quincy is the "savior" of the team, I will respond to that. I've seen posts say that he could lead us to the superbowl.....who's to say that he won't?

But for someone to say that Henson is our "savior", after being away from the game as long as he has been has just been smoking something wacky.

Now, I've answered your question, how about you answer mine?

You say that I respond ANYTIME someone bashes him. Would I not have the most posts on here?
  20. blindzebra

9,207 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    Whatever.

Who's to say Henson won't be our savior? Is that really that much more unlikely than Carter ever leading us to a Super Bowl?

If you take anytime as literal, sure, but does that excuse your position?

There are just as many, probably more, of the extreme Carter posts. One even predicting Carter having 52 TDs this year, but I guess you missed that one.

I've seen a Carter WILL lead us to the Super Bowl this year post. Not COULD, but WILL. I guess you missed that one too.

That fence must be uncomfortable, because you sure jump off it enough.