1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DE Possibilities at #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BritishBoysfan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BritishBoysfan

BritishBoysfan Member

41 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    For a few reasons I think it is a strong possibility that we will draft a 3-4 DE in the first round

- We know an interest is there. Liked J.J Watt a lot last year, and in the absence of Tyron I assume we would have picked him

- No real difference makers in Hatcher/Spears/Coleman on the roster

- Adding a top player here helps our front seven create pressure, and in turn helps the secondary

- Doubts about this 3-4 OLB/Passrusher class

So, all in all I think 3-4 DE value might meet a need here

Looking at the possibilities (include Poe if we assume they might put Ratcliff at DE)

1. Dontari Poe Memphis 6-3½ 346 4.98 2. Michael Brockers L.S.U. 6-5 322 5.36 3. Fletcher Cox Mississippi St. 6-4 298 4.79 4. Devon Still Penn St. 6-4⅞ 303 5.08

Who would you pick and why?

I have you-tubed all of these, (living abroad, not easy to see too many of these in action, so you'll have to forgive me that) and I think I might pick Cox myself

"*Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State, 6-4, 298, 1...Cox is naturally big, plays bigger and is expected to grow even more in size and ability. A third-year junior, Cox was the only player from Mississippi State to be named All-SEC first team after he collected 56 tackles and five sacks last season. He works hard from kickoff until the final whistle, setting a pace for teammates and wearing down opponents. He showed very good explosion in combine testing. The light-footed Cox played both defense end and defensive tackle and his versatility will be an asset in the NFL, where scouts think he is similar to San Diego's Corey Liuget, an 18th overall pick out of Illinois last year. Cox was one of five Bulldogs suspended for the 2011 opener against Memphis for breaking team rules, but he returned to the field with vengeance and earned praise from his coaches. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange"

Looking at the section in bold, I think I prefer that to the supposed so so effort from Poe and the youth of Brockers

Might I be on the right lines?
  2. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Good post. I would add Coples to that list as I think he could play out on the end. While Cox isn't a space eater, I think he could split time between nose tackle and end with Ratliff. Word is that Ratliff got wore down last year and it would be good to get someone to spell him in certain situations.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed, but why not draft a top flight 3-4 DE prospect like any of the ones mentioned and then draft one of the bulldozers that have been thrown around on here in the later rounds: Fangupo, Hicks or even Kitchen who is linked to the Cowboys.

I was looking at Bunting's board and there are some small school prospects at DT that could also be looked at.
    • Chigbo Anunoby - 6'4 324, Morehouse
    • Damon Harrison - 6'2 340, William Penn
    • Charles Deas - 6'3 316, Shaw
    • Asa Chapman - 6'4 368, Liberty
  3. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,065 Messages
    260 Likes Received
    A DE in our 3-4 needs to hold his ground, absorb the blockers, and if it's a pass then try to create pressure. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong or over simplifying this.) It's a wasted pick IMO to draft a block absorber in the first round.

Now find a guy who gets multiple sacks while being double teamed all season and then spend your 1st pick...

I to would love to hear from posters who actually watch these kids play.
  4. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

876 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    It has been discussed, ad nauseum. There are two camps - the make the offense elite, ie draft olineman first, second, whenever camp; then theres the lets get the defense to where it can actually compete camp.
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That's not what I was talking about. I'm aware what has been discussed.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,525 Messages
    792 Likes Received
    I think Dallas will draft Cox or Hightower if they stay put at 14. My preference would be to see DeCastro in a Dallas uni but I think Dallas might want a center more than a guard. If they do decide on center they will target Konz and try and move down. If they are unable to move down it will be either Cox or Hightower.

I'll take any one of the four in the 1st round but like the idea of moving down, gaining a draft pick, and selecting the best center prospect since Dave Rimington.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,370 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    some of us fall into both camps. I like Coples bit more leery of Cox, I like Ingram and Upshaw but I also like DeCastro.

If we can make big improvements and get a quality player I'm in favor of it. Only thing I would say is DeCastro has fewer question marks. To me it is not about DL vs OL it is getting a guy with the best chance of becoming a pro bowl caliber player.
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Why not offer next year's first and this year's third to move up into the first for an additional pick.

Take DeCastro and a DE? Or Konz and DE?

A move like this could make us very competitive this season. Important if you consider Romo's age.
  9. BritishBoysfan

BritishBoysfan Member

41 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    which of the 3-4 DE prospects, or NT prospects, can be more than a space absorber and actually create pressure?

Cox? Brockers? Poe?

Or not?

After all what JJ Watt provided for the Texans was pressure/sacks and run stopping. Is there another JJ Watt here?
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Why Hightower? Signed Dan Donnor in free agency, have Sean Lee, spent a 2nd round pick on Bruce Carter last year. Don't see the Hightower fit.
  11. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Cox seems like he is the most polished out of the bunch, but doesn't have as high of a ceiling as Coples.

Poe and Brockers are both raw extremely raw, with Brockers having the higher ceiling out of those two it seems like.

There's really no J.J. Watt type in this bunch of DL prospects. Cox is a tier down and Coples/Brockers/Poe don't seem like sure things.
  12. Zimmy Lives

5,525 Messages
    792 Likes Received
    This would be my dream scenario! Alas, I do not think Garrett is bold enough to make this move. :(
  13. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

876 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Thats the Bill Parcells, antiquated approach. This is a passing league now and you need guys who can rush the passer. 3-4, 4-3 - it doesnt matter. You have basically 7 guys assigned to get after the QB. If you can get to him with 3 or 4, then you're doing great. There is no reason why you cant go after a 5 tech dlineman that can rush the passer. Hell, Bruce Smith played in a 3-4 as a defensive end.

Our problem is that we have 1 guy out of 7 that gets any sacks.
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    At 14, Cox is my only choice but I would rather wait to the 2nd or trade back.
    I don't see much difference in Cox, and Reyes or Crick. I would be happy with Reyes in the 2nd round.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,083 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    hey, that's not fair!!!
    we have lots of guys who can get 1 sack a year!
    :eek:
  16. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Thats the old style. Now 3-4 DEs need to get pressure. Look at SF and Houston and Arizona. Their 3-4 DEs get pressure. JJ Watt is what we need to find. Reyes,Cox, and Crick are the best pass rushers out of the bunch. Brockers and Poe doesn't do that.
  17. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

876 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    So an all Pro Bowl offensive line will win us more games if we keep waiting till the 4th and 5th rounds to add dlineman?
  18. Zimmy Lives

5,525 Messages
    792 Likes Received
    Just a hunch. This guys screams team leader and football-playing dude. He can play inside as well as outside and he has all the necessary physical tools to supplant Spencer in the future.

Dallas is not really sure about Carter and Conner but I think they be pretty confident that Hightower would start at inside LB from day one with the potential to move outside with a little more experience. Can you imagine Rat, Hightower and/or Lee rushing from the inside?
  19. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Active Member

876 Messages
    171 Likes Received
    Cox is not a tier down, he is more athletic than Watts, just not as stout as Watts strength wise - yet.

The dude was a high school sprinter. Ran a 4.78 at 300lbs.

I've read that he is a bit better than Cam Jordan. But similar players.
  20. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Dallas is sure enough about Carter to use a second round pick on an injured player. They are also sure enough about Connor to sign him from free agency. Why would they get a player if they weren't sure? Seems like bad business and I don't think that's the case. I think they signed Connor to battle with Carter for the starting position with the hopes that Carter will win the job considering Connor's limitations in pass coverage. Plus, I see us bringing back either Brooking or James for depth at ILB, I don't see us needing more than 3.