1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DE Possibilities at #14

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BritishBoysfan, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Like I said, it's just a hunch.

I like Conner and Carter but I don't think either are going to be as good as Lee. I don't think Carter is ready and Connor worries me with his size. I think Hightower, on the other hand, will be as good as Lee and better than Spencer.

He (Hightower) is the type player Garrett wants on his team. He starts day one and can move to the outside next year.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,199 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I think Jake Bequette is a player that should also be included. He is very interesting.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I agree, but not at #14.
  4. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,905 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    True enough but most (If not all) of these prospects would only excel in a 4-3 scheme and would get pushed around and out of the play in a 3-4, especially on a run play.

So they might create pressure (Even score a sack) on a pass play but be abused on a run play. Many are saying Cox is one such player...

I don't watch much college ball to say either way but it makes sense to me...
  5. BritishBoysfan

BritishBoysfan Member

41 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    and Crick if its round 2 or 3, presumably would have been a lot higher than a potential pick at 50-60 if he hadn't torn that pec after 5 games last year

9.5 sacks in each of two years, albeit next to Kong Suh
  6. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,742 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    I really like the idea of drafting Decastro in the first but I think if the Ingram kid is available they will go after him and OL in the second round unless one of these better than avg. DEs' is available. The guard pool is supposed to be pretty deep so I have no problem with this scenario but I really hope it's Decastro if he is available. He is a plug and play lineman and that is not always so easy to get.
  7. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

1,099 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    Don't know about that. Brockers, Cox, Poe, Still - all go 300lbs or better. And are all strong.

Heck, we have a 290lb nose tackle that gets pushed around yet they still seem content to keep him there. Why? Cause they seem to think he get get pressure on the QB, though his sack totals have been steadily decreasing the past couple of years.

Cox will be a stud. I really hope he's the guy we get at 14.
  8. rolldog

rolldog Member

37 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Without a doubt, I would draft Cox from this bunch. My favorite things about him is he has a great motor, doesn't take plays off, and the coaching staff had enough trust in him to play him all over the line. What's the use in a player having great athleticism if he doesn't have the heart to match? Cox looks like he has heart.
  9. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,905 Messages
    634 Likes Received
    Yeah sadly Big Rat is getting worn down. I really want somebody that can replace him now...:(
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    Spot on.

Which is exactly why if Coples is their at #14...run away. I live in Tar Heel nation. He is a lazy, no heart football player. We don't need his attitude.

1st round - Cox
    2nd round - Brooks

Konz won't make it out of 1st round.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    He could be a major part in terms of protection and opening holes in the running game being able to convert that 3rd and 1 or get the TD down at the endzone instead of being forced to kick the FG.

I like many of the guys on the DL you mentioned what I do not like are guys with too many question marks at 14.

Fact is for years we spent on the DL it was the OL that was ignored. Looking right now I can see 3 1st rd picks Ware, Spencer and Spears and until last year who was Dallas selecting for the OL?

I'm about getting quality player because quality players help you win trying to compare OL vs DL is foolish it is about the player themselfs, are you getting the best player.
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Good post. Everyone seems to forget our lack of rushing touchdowns and inability to run the ball within the 10 yard line. I'm sick and tired of seeing this team in shotgun in that space. 5 rushing touchdowns isn't going to cut it.
  13. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    It is important. I guess my main thing is at 14 I want that player to be about as sure of a bet as I can get. I want the guy who has very few question marks.

To me this argument of DL vs OL is ridicules you’re not picking a position you are picking a player. Hell I want LT to be my OLB but there does not look like there is any LT's in this draft there is however a guy who compares very much to Steve Hutchinson.
  14. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    It is not ridiculous. Right guards are the least valued position on the offensive line by salary and draft status. A bad right guards will block the guy in pass protection something like 96% of the time. A great right guard will block the guy 99% of the time. A left guard can have an impact on your running game but not nearly as much as a great back with vision and burst.

If we just had league average play in the interior offensive line, we would have a great offense. Costa, Kosier and Nagy were bad. Spears and Coleman together did not get ANY pressure at all despite 1 on 1 blocking in our base defense. We can't have an end get no pressure or push then get only 6 sacks from olb. It makes it too easy to slide protection and block the right side of our defense.
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Again I don't pick position I pick players. Wanting pressure and actually getting a player who can bring it is not the same thing. If we take a so called DL player who is no better than Spears or an OLB no better than Spencer then did we help ourselves both were 1st rd picks?

Many of the players on defensive front have some question marks this is not to say there are guys worth taking a chance on as I said I like Ingram would not be upset getting him, same with Upshaw but by the same token I would not be upset getting one of the highest graded players in the draft in DeCosta.

Draft is not about 2012 alone it is about the future of the club and I would like to get the best when the opportunity presents itself regardless of the position
  16. BlindFaith

BlindFaith Well-Known Member

1,099 Messages
    252 Likes Received
    I guess what I'm saying is that Cox would be an upgrade over any dlineman we have right now minus Ratliff - maybe. And his upside would be much higher. Brockers is more of a longer term project, but is probably just as good as what we have now, with the potential to be much better. Poe is boom or bust.

As good as DeCastro may be, he is still a guard. And if our defense was solid, then I'd be all for it. But you sometimes don't just pick the BPA, you have to weigh that with need. We need pass rushers. Dline or LBs. We need upgrades at safety.

The offense played well enough last year for us to be in the playoffs even with a couple meltdowns by Romo.

The reason we were not in the playoffs is because of our defense.

So it seems simple to me, fix what hinders you. Defense.
  17. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Going need is what has hurt us in the past we grab a guy to fill a position we do not grab a guy that is the most talented. I'm not saying I'm aginst Cox or an Upshaw or Ingram but I will say I would be very happy with DeCastro as well. I want more than a player for 2012 I'm looking longterm not just next year. I wish this draft has a better crop of pass rusher but it doesn't getting one and calling him that does not make it so.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,084 Messages
    4,560 Likes Received
    I don't see a pass rusher at 14 this draft. Now they have the scouts and the tape to evaluate them all so they may disagree. There are certainly guys who could make sense even if I don't see it. I'm thinking you can get a pass rusher in the second even if you have to move up for him.

I'm thinking Poe then DE. I know many love Decastro but you can get a G in the second at the least. You might not get a Ferrari but you can get a top of the line Corvette.

The pick in the first is really a big deal. There are CBs in the 2/3. There are Gs in the 2/3. There are pass rushers in the 2. So I'm thinking (in this draft) they will be looking at DL first.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,540 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    We would have been done with Rat after this year, the last on his original extension.

However, Jerry decided that he needed to extend this declining player who was about to hit 30 even though he had 2 more years left on his extension.

Now we can look forward to some dead cap money after this season or the season after when everyone finally admits that he is worn out.

It will have only wasted $18M which is almost twice what the NFL fined us.

We could stand a chance of competing if the man up top finally admitted he wasn't up to the job.
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,540 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    If you want a DL with passrush credentials you usually have to grab them in the first round.

I am beginning to agree more and more that the pick is likely to be Cox.

I wouldn't mind a trade down and pickup an extra premium pick and focus on OLB, CB and OG.