1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

De Smith declares “war” against the owners

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Jan 23, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,103 Messages
    90 Likes Received
  2. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,811 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    I miss Gene Upshaw.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  4. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,646 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    The writing has been on the wall for a long time he felt this way.

What does he consider his biggest weapon? Missing games so the owners lose money.

What he fails to come to grips with is that the players will cave long before the owners will.

He is prolonging the inevitable and the fans lose out on a full season.

:bang2:
  5. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,121 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Are the players happy this guy is representing them?
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I hope he shows his butt, plays the fool and lets the players realize who really is leading them. Maybe they will decirtify and we can start over.
  7. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He been a real ******* so far. Way to get fans behind him... No wonder Players are getting zero sympathy from fans or very little. Owners/NFL know how to play this game. Seems like DeMaurice Smith is way over his head on this as it comes to media handling.
  8. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    WOW! NFLPA executive director De Smith is a real JAGBAG!

I'm falling less and less on the side of the players on this one. It seems this guy just wants to pick an unfair fight, and if the players are dumb enough (which too many of them are) to let him do that , then I sure hope the owners take these nimrods to the cleaners in the new CBA.
  9. Patton

Patton Benched

848 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oh well, there's baseball and basketball. Maybe there will be more hockey on tv to fill the void as well. Not to mention college football. The way it's going for the Cowboys, maybe a year off wouldn't be so bad.
  10. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,811 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  11. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,714 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    For all intensive purposes the Players' Union is setting themselves up to look like idiots and villains, the owners merely need to give them the rope to hang themselves with.

They're already overpaid to play a game and in a deep and costly recession such as the economy has experienced now for almost three years there will not be much public empathy for Scott Fujita's three million dollar salary talking about his health insurance benefits.

The sooner a deal is done the less PR backlash the players will take, they have chosen poor ambassadors to their cause and need the perspective of the tight times we live in.

I have no empathy for someone making between 350k and 12 million a year talking about how tough their finances are.
  12. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Heck way the Unions future looks right now even in regular business climate, players better realize, unions are really not most popular thing either. Lot of fans right on this board, most likely, Majority of them, don't belong to unions most likely either.

We work mostly based on whim/satisfaction of owner/bosses. Just like most people, Players ought to realize, the games goes on. Owners can easily find some scrubs to play the game and most fans will watch it. And its eventually Players who will have to wilt.

They get zero sympathy from me, other than one issue I support them on, i.e. against 18 game schedule. That on legitimate issue I think most fans might support too, due to injury risks.
  13. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This....
  14. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Smith is an idiot. He really doesn't have the best interests of the players at heart.

He certainly doesn't know how to negotiate.
  15. DallasGirl50

DallasGirl50 New Member

2,025 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    People can be so silly sometimes. War? What a goofy thing to say.
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Well, without hyperbole, what would he have?
  17. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    people need to get a grip.. :rolleyes:

This guy is the union leader. He's trying to rally his constituents, which is part of his job, and he's talking to them in what's supposed to be a private setting, not a press conference, or public declaration. What is he supposed to say ? " uh, you know fellas, we should all be nice because the owners have our best interest at heart " ?? You don't think owners say 10 times more worse things when they meet ?

Wake up and smell the roses..
  18. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,095 Messages
    32 Likes Received

You need to move on from the 1930's.. I don't now if you haven't heard, but color television has been invented.. and, don't be shocked now, but you can even control them from your own couch too..
  19. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,646 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    One thing I took from his comment is a possible sign of trouble within the union and a hint of desperation in trying to unite the forces. There are likely players who know their career is hanging in the balance here and sense what the strategy is of Smith. They are probably ready to take the modest pay-cut and play ball while they still can. It's really not that hard to understand the position of the owners.
  20. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,166 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    Yah, and I have even less for those who make billions.