1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dean: I need a decision 'now'

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Heisenberg, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,026 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/17/dean-i-need-a-decision-now/

Dean: I need a decision 'now'
    Posted: 08:36 PM ET

(CNN)— An increasingly firm Howard Dean told CNN again Thursday that he needs superdelegates to say who they’re for – and “I need them to say who they’re for starting now.”

“We cannot give up two or three months of active campaigning and healing time,” the Democratic National Committee Chairman told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer. “We’ve got to know who our nominee is.”

After facing criticism for a mostly hands-off leadership style during much of the primary season, Dean has been steadily raising the rhetorical pressure on superdelegates. He said Thursday that roughly 65 percent of them have made their preference plain, but that more than 300 have yet to make up their minds.

The national party chair, who has remained neutral throughout the primary process, said again it’s his job to make sure both candidates feel they are treated fairly – but not to tell either of them when to end their run.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,331 Messages
    1,354 Likes Received
    dean can sit his grandstanding arse down now. hillary will quit when she feels like it. good of the whole never meant much to a clinton.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received

Shhhh! I'm enjoying this. Don't spoil the fun.
  4. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It was a significant statement by Dean. He has been rather hands off. Now he's applying some pressure. This is an important change and signals the beginning of the end for Clinton.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    Gosh I thought they were all about every vote counting. Obama can't reach the magic number either to win the Dem nomination outright and as long as there are states left to vote and no clear cut winner Hillary should remain in the fight and Dean should shut his pie hole and let the voters have their say. Remember ever vote counts!!!! :laugh2:
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    I am sure the Clintons are really scared of Dean .... the guy is a clown and no one will ever take him seriously.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,413 Messages
    3,739 Likes Received
    I agree and the reality is the delegate count stand like this right now. I know Dean want's it over but this is still a close race.
    1,644 Obama
    1,498 Clinton
    2,025 needed to win with 10 states remaining

as for superdelegates Clinton has a slight edgewith 248 backing her compared with 226 for Obama.
  8. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,302 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I thought the convention was when they had to decide. Isn't that the whole point of the convention. So now Dean is trying to disenfranchise voters in states that are yet to vote? Funny how they want to change their own system when it isn't working like they want it to.
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,939 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Technically yes, but that rarely happens these days as a clear candidate is usually already evident...

This allows the respective parties to save money during the primaries, and start the onslaught on the opposing party sooner. It also damages a party within it's own ranks by dividing the faithful...

Dean is trying to save campaign money for the candidate and halt an already widening divide between the Democrats.
  10. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It doesn't matter much what the Clintons think of Dean.

With respect to this story, what matters is whether Dean can prompt many of the "undecided" Super Delegates to declare their preferences sooner rather than later.
  11. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    You forgot the

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,030 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    Good to see Dean cares about not disenfranchising the Pennsylvania voters.
  13. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You beat me to it!
  14. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    :lmao2: