1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DeCastro at 14 is stupid

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Feb 5, 2012.

1. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Is that the same Spagnola who says there is no way we draft a guard at 14? :p:
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    I just don't see Jerry willing to let them draft a guard in round 1.

He'll trade down a few spots and then draft him before he would ever take one outright.

Possibly draft another position and trade back up for Glenn.

As good as Decastro is I think Glenn may have more upside. Thad a big nimble man.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a poor way to try to determine whether a player has great value: would he have been the difference to get us over the hump on last year's team?

A disruptive 34 DE wouldnt have been the difference last season either. Why? Well, perhaps because the Cowboys would still have to play offense and Romo would still be spinning and running for his life because of the consistent pressure allowed up the middle.

If you don't think interior line play is important then we got a lot more to talk about than just college prospects.

You can get quality 34 DE later in the draft as well. And yes, if I'm using the #14 pick, I really prefer to have someone with at least some sort o production to point to.
  4. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received

So you think the Giants made a mistake drafting the raw but high upside Jason Pierre Paul ? They should have taken someone more ready to play their first year?
  5. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Wrong thread.
  6. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, so you want take an example and make it general rule and prescribe it for every raw d-linemen? "Uh oh, better take player X, remember JPP!"

JPP also produced at the collegiate level, moreso than Brockers.

This team needs immediate help from its 1st rounder. If we end up picking up Carl Nicks or some starter in FA, then I'd be a lot more open to Brockers, whom again, I like.
  7. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    got it.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  9. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,774 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Why are people so high on Brockers? If you are oozing with potential than it means that you haven't done it yet. I would rather draft someone like Mercilus or even Upshaw that has a body of work to speak of.
  10. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received

I see you worked really hard on this and I'm not knocking DeCastro I think he is a really good player. But I quit looking after 6 links, all you showed were a bunch of fourms like this one. I have just about every draft site in my favorite places and I look at them all most every night. All agree he is a high pick. I'm saying their are other players we need to consider. Every year after the combine and senior bowl and all of the amatuer draft guys get to mingle with the the real scouts and you see a shuffling of their boards. At this time last year you didnt really hear anything about Aldon Smith or J.J. Watt as being top 10 picks. The same will hold true this year. After the Combine DeCastro may be considered a top 10 talent but so may Brockers or Perry. If the talent is equal I want someone who can help Ware put pressure on the QB. You guys would rather have Romo better protected. that dosent mean we dont care about Romo's health. It simply means I'm tired of some of this teams defensive players quitting and I think its a bigger liability than the offense. But as I have said repeatedly, if the experts tell me DeCastro is as great as all of you do. Then by all means take him at 14
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    Next year as another year of the Romo window closes, who is the surest thing to make an impact? Brockers, Perry or DeCastro? Obviously it is DeCastro he has started and played at a high level on one of the best programs in the country for the last 3 years. The other two not nearly as much. BTW sign Mario Williams who also is sure thing to make an impact it solves the other problem. Further more Bunting has DeCastro listed as 6th best prospect in the draft. Way too many people here are all wrapped up in what Free is getting paid. Put your best 5 people out there and make it work.
  12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,064 Messages
    1,740 Likes Received

No, what I am telling you is that you will find the names Hutchinson and DeCastro linked other than here.
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    There are no givens because you cannot simply decide what you are going to do and all other 31 teams be damned as if they are not there.

Interior OL is going to be one of 3 focuses this off season. One or two needs are going to take back seats. This all depends on how the Combines unfold, how Free Agency begins, and above all how the Draft plays out. I think there will be some movement in the top 10 that puts DeCastro in our laps. At that point we'd be crazy not to take him regardless of what we do in FA.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,869 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    If you check the scouting reports that use comparisons you will find exactly that comparison. I haven't seen him compared to any other player.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    That movement with any luck will be Tanneyhill. Hope he has a great combine.
  16. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    So LSU and USC are not high level programs ? Your right Brockers and Perry are underclassmen so they havent played at a high level for as long. And you get me Mario Williams I'll be turning cartwheels.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So really what you're saying is you haven't seen DeCastro or Brockers play that much at all, and you need to be convinced by some hypberbole off a scouting report to tell who is better?
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,542 Messages
    1,413 Likes Received
    DeCastro played at a high level as a freshmen and every year till this his Junior season. Perry didnt do much until this year. Brockers similar situation. Not saying they wont pan out. I am surest about the combination of DeCastro and Williams. How many more years do you thnk this core plays at a high level? 1st rounder needs to make an impact this year.
  19. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I find it funny that likely 999 out of 1000 didn't know who Michael Brockers was until just a few weeks ago. Yet, now he's this absolute must have prospect all of a sudden.

He wasn't even on the radar of most professional scouting services for this draft because most assumed he would be staying for at least one more season.

I was more bummed that Brockers teammate Sam Montgomery DE/OLB didn't come out for this draft. I'd love to throw that guy into the passrush mix.
  20. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    :bang2: jeez where did I say I havent seen them play. And yes, I want to see what the real experts say about them. Certainly not ashamed of that. I guess you dont look at all the draft sites and take their opinions into consideration. Do all your own film work and breakdown, more power to you.