1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DeCastro at 14 is stupid

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Feb 5, 2012.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, not at all.

I wouldn't take Quinton Coples or Alphonso Dennard over DeCastro for a number of reasons.

But more to the point, what Ourlads, WalterFootball, ESPN, Matt Mayock, Wes Bunting, Draftek, Who'sYourMommaMockDraft, et cetera, has to say about how they rate or rank the prospects has absolutely ZILCH to do with how the Cowboys team scouts and staff (or any other team) view the prospects.
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,957 Likes Received
    I wouldn't blame the team for being interested in upgrading center at all.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    UDFAs are so hard to predict. Teams are fickle, sometimes just bringing in a player because he's local; other times because someone on the coaching staff has a connection (see: Romo and Sean Payton). Hansen is definitely a UDFA type; he's got an uphill battle being of small stature and only really have one full season under his belt.

Corps a former USC player that transfered to Richmond (as you already know I'm sure), so you have to think he's got some talent to work with.

I think they're both UDFA types, but your guess is as good as mine as far as the Cowboys bringing them in.
  4. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,293 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    Isn't this the same defective thinking that got us Julius Jones instead of Stephen Jackson???
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,841 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received

pretty much

Of course as often injured as Jackson has been; plus Our O line woes, it probably did not in the end make that much difference.
  6. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    14 is too high for a OG. I'd much rather trade down to 20 or lower and take a guard. But we are kinda in a bad spot at 14. Right now I don't see any elite impact players falling to us. When your drafting in the top half of the draft, your pick has gotta be a difference maker.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Agreed. We are in a crappy spot--a weak draft at the top means there likely won't be any elite talent at 14. We need a few guys to have incredible combine and pro-days...Tannehil, Kendal Wright, maybe one of the CBs
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I think an interior lineman would make a big impact on this team. Dallas has the skill players what we have failed to address are the guys who make it all run and that is the guys up front. Maybe 14 is the prefect place to be if it forces the hand of the team to address what needs to be addressed.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I hope BAT doesn't mind my posting this, but it was what he said on the Mickey/Rob Phillips thread on the Daily Zone:

Just for the record, Broaddus said this exact thing about Decastro this past Saturday after he watched some tape of him. Said he's a sound technician and good on the move but not that great at rooting out the bigger DTs.
  10. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,267 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    And what exactly have you seen from this coaching/scouting staff that tells you they are able to draft a starting quality offensive lineman beyond round 1, and especially in rounds 3 and 4?

DeCastro is as close to a sure thing as there is in the draft and he plays a position we desperately need help at. He's a stud from day 1.
  11. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,859 Messages
    2,340 Likes Received
    thanx CL
    that is pretty eye opening from BAT and Broaddus

Perhaps the best move would be to trade down to early 20s and take Cordy Glenn and get an extra 2nd rounder
  12. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    938 Likes Received
    Good post. Definitely something to think about with Decastro.

And why spending pick #14 on a safe bet/limited upside type of guy might not be a great idea. Last year, we passed on Costanzo, Carimi and instead drafted Smith and were reportedly considering Solder--guys not as prepared or polished but with much much more upside

I'd like to see us continue picking that way, #14 is a high pick and needs to spent on a high-ceiling player. Not just someone who can step in right away and be pretty good.
  13. Brian_C82

Brian_C82 Member

466 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How in the world could anyone know that this will be a "deep" draft class for OG's? For all you know, everyone except DeCastro could be a bust. If DeCastro is the best player available at your position of need, you take him in the first round. End of story.
  14. ABQcowboyJR

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    You really can't see that this is a deep guard draft? There are a lot of guards with good measurables in this draft.
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Really, that's interesting. My question was have you watched these other guards? I have no doubt you have watched DeCastro, like everybody else. Have watched the other prospects play or are you just basing your opinion on what you are hearing? This is a very draft for Guards. Good quality prospects. It's hard for me to look at this and say no others are worthy. That too seems as if it would be a pretty simple concept to grasp.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Love the fear-mongering over the "negatives" on some draft website regarding DeCastro.

Every player has negatives or shortcomings to pointed out. Similar fear ran rampant about Tyron last year, and then JJ Watt when he was rumoured to be the pick.
  17. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,772 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Delcastro is the safest pick in the draft @ 14. Pick him and plug him in for for the next 10 years.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,658 Messages
    1,483 Likes Received
    So now we are supposed to down grade DeCastro because he is not the athlete LA was?:laugh2: Again DeCastro is the surest thing if he is there at 14 as opposed to some of the dope smokers and one year wonders I keep hearing about.
  19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I agree there are some other quality Gaurds in this draft. 2 that come to mind is Kevin Zeitler and Cordy Glenn. Having said that I think DeCastro by most accounts is the best of the bunch. To me he is an option the Cowboys should consider but not the only option on the draft board.

Honestly I'm not going to get mad if the Cowboys take him or they take a Kirkpatrick or Ingram or Upshaw. I'm hoping to get quality players 1st and foremost
  20. ABQcowboyJR

2,929 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I don't think anyone said every player didn't. Decastro might be at his ceiling already. He is not very athletic, there is no way around it. Is rather take the guy with more potential upside.....aka a tyron kinda guy.