1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Decastro or Zeitler and Konz

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Avery, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,916 Messages
    402 Likes Received
    Here's an interesting scenario for you. Say the Pats call up and offer #27 and #31/#32 for the #14.

Does the combo of getting the inside of the Wisconsin OL in both Zeitler and Konz overweigh Decastro? Perhaps Cordy Glenn sneaks in at the back of the round?

Discuss.
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    If either Nicks or Grubbs is signed in FA, I take it. That would give us 3 picks in like the top 45?

We have lots of holes.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,335 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I love Konz, DeCastro and Zeitler. I had a post several months ago saying I wanted Konz and Zeitler then in round 1 and 2. We need a center for sure.
    If we sign Carl Nicks then a OG in the 1st doesn't make sense to me.
    We need a OLB and CB that can play day one.
    With that said I would take the trade and look who is there, if a OLB or CB is there that I really like then I would take the OLB or CB over a Center or OG. I just value pass rushers and cover corners more than I do OGs and Center.
    I would then get Zeitler and Ben Jones or another real good OG and C in the 2nd or the 2nd and 3rd.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    The basic problem I see at 14 is there are no cant miss pass rushers or corners there. I think DeCastro is the only cant miss guy likely to be available at 14. I would consider anything but this team has a lousy track record trading down.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,679 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    no way do we risk a pick on Konz. Too much risk.
  6. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just wondering why you think Konz is too much of a risk. He's pretty much regarded as the best center in the draft with a 1st round grade. Is there injury or off field concerns I'm not aware of with him?
  7. burmafrd

41,679 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    do a little research; or better yet go over some of the threads the last week or so and that will answer your question.
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,335 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    people keeping bringing up something about a blood clotting problem no websites talk about.
    still doesn't stop bunting, Kiper, or McShay form making him a first rounder.
    Konz was diagnosed in 2009 and didn't miss any time in 2010 or 2011 with this issue.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/pyrnotes.php?pyid=83386&draftyear=2012&genpos=C&startspot=20

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/79373317.html
  9. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    thanks for the info. I hadn't heard that about him. Seems like to me this is almost a non issue if he's been cleared and still playing. If the team doctor's clear him a late 1st round pick seems reasonable for him.
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,838 Messages
    804 Likes Received
    I'd say go for the top flight talent, but it's a pretty tempting offer.

I like what we did last year. We had a reasonable trade offer but stayed put and got the best player because of it.
  11. Sandyf

Sandyf Member

584 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I would go Konz and Hightower because I believe Keitler would be there in round 2. Anyway I would go all out for Nicks in free agency.

FA:
    Carl Nicks LG
    Kendall Langford DE (5-tech) unless Campbell was available
    Sammie Lee Hill NT
    Brandon Carr CB
    Richard Marshall CB/FS

Draft with the trade
    27. Peter Konz OC
    32. Dont'a Hightower - he can play inside or outside only moved inside due to injuries of other ILB guys
    45. Brandon Boykin CB (like Zeitler but if we have Nicks and Konz, either Nagy or Arkin can handle the RG spot)
  12. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    i want this guy more than any free agent . this years jonathan joseph, dont think he will be as pricey as others. I feel like even if we miss out on nicks and grubbs and say decastro there are other that we could pick that could start for us day one at guard available like glenn, or zeitler etc..
  13. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,880 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Yes I like a lot of the late 1st/2nd round OL and pass Rushers
  14. burmafrd

41,679 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Eskimo, a doctor, explained why it was a problem. Now if you are unwilling to do the necessary research to understand why that is your problem.
  15. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,770 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    You sure your sig isn't a life size Barbie doll?
  16. burmafrd

41,679 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,783 Messages
    2,509 Likes Received
    I like Cordy Glenn around the 20th to 27th slot. He's a mountain.
  18. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wes Bunting is touting Amini Silatolu (Midwestern State). This guy is exactly what the Cowboys need at one of the guard spots. I read Bunting's scouting report, and Silatolu should fit what Garrett wants. He could be the Cowboys version Jahri Evans. He could be a solid option in round 2. Could he start now? That is a question. This guy could develop into a dominant guard in the NFL if the right team gets him. He has size, power, and athleticism.

I'd move Arkin to center.
  19. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bunting likes Brandon Washington (Miami), and I remembered him from a Vela/Bunting chat. I just looked back at Vela's and Bunting's chat (Cowboys Nation), and Bunting actually says that Washington is a better fit than Silatolu (for Dallas). Both players are OT who will kick inside to guard. (Washington has played LT and LG.) I like that, because it tells me that they have athletic ability. I really like Washington's size and athleticism and his level of competition. Silatolu is powerful and has athletic ability.

Brandon Washington
    Amini Silatolu

I think those two guys are my 2nd round guard favorites. Washington is a solid second round pick now. Silatolu is a 3rd round pick who could sneak into round 2.

Vela covers the draft better than anyone, I think.

Of course, David DeCastro (at 14) would be at the top of the list.

If DeCastro isn't the pick at 14, I'd like one of these two guys in the second round.

The Cowboys really need two new starting guards, so can Washington or Silatolu start now. If I didn't get DeCastro, I wouldn't pass over them just because they couldn't start day one.

I sure hope Carl Nicks gets free, and the Cowboys go for it.
  20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I explained the issue a couple of times already.

Spontaneous DVTs in individuals with clotting disorders have this tendency to recur. A recurrence of his DVT could very well mean his NFL career is over as standard medical practice is currently lifelong coagulation after a second unprovoked DVT.

The issue with having two DVTs is there is a certain tendency for pulmonary emoblisms (the dreaded consequence of DVTs) to kill people. The other issue becomes that such individuals if left un-anticoagulated will likely be forming small microemboli and may be having small recurrent PEs that will ultimately destroy their lungs.

Anyhow, the condition is quite serious and in many ways may actually be worse than Marcus Cannon's Lymphoma diagnosis last year and that one dropped him from the second round to the fifth round.

I could easily see someone taking a shot at Konz in the 3rd. I'd be surprised if anyone took on in the 1st because of the risk of medical retirement.

Population studies suggest a risk of recurrence at 30% in 10 years for a single unprovoked DVT. Football likely significantly increases this risk because of all the trauma. A genetic tendency towards blood clots also significantly increases this risk.

It may never become an issue in his career or he may have to retire before his first NFL practice. It could sideline him right before the Super Bowl. There is a definite riskiness to the pick. I think people will discuss the issue more after the combine after his medical issues are vetted.