1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Defensive performance against rookie QBs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by perrykemp, Nov 18, 2012.

1. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Generally I am happy with the defense, however, there are a couple of things that trouble me when I have my daydreams about plausible scenarios where the Cowboys get to the Superbowl (I know... crazy):
    • They haven't done well against rookie QBs. I was shocked at Weeden's performance today
    • The lack of pass rush. The lack of defensive pressure is one of the most troubling indcators of a team that isn't SB worthy.
    • Lack of interceptions. I guess I was hoping for more than 7 they are on track for this season.

I guess in summary, while I am happy the Cowboy's defense is in the tops of the league yardage wise, the fact that they can't generate a decent pass rush -- especially against rookie QBs AND the fact that they can't be counted on to generate many turnovers are the most troubling signs that the team isn't quite ready to lead the team on any sort of playoff run quite yet -- especially considering the inconsistency of the offense.

I am pinning my hopes on defensive improvement at this point on the fact I think Mo is maturing and will start generating more turnovers at we enter the final stretch.
  2. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    QBs don't pass block. Where do you rank the Browns OL? Have we faced a btter one this season? I say no and thankfully won't see another one this good the rest of the way.
  3. perrykemp

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I get it -- Cleveland has a good OL. Unfortunately the Seahawks didn't have a good OL and the Cowboys only managed two sacks against Wilson.

I guess I am just frustrated that all these rookies QB are averaging a 100+ QB rating against the defense -- it's a bad bad sign.
  4. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Rushing three isn't going to stop any QB. Then them completing pases while loaded in the defensive back field is salt in the wound.
  5. Zordon

Zordon Infinite Crab Meats...

8,239 Messages
    2,970 Likes Received
    they need to get more athletic up front. they have too many fat slow footed players up front. notice we don't bat any balls down upfront too.
  6. perrykemp

5,025 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    Great point.

I'd suspect that JJ Watt has more batted balls than the entire Cowboys DL.
  7. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,930 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    The Seahawks have allowed only 19 sacks this season, and the Browns have allowed only 16. That's an average of 1.9 and 1.6 per game. We got two against each even though both of them fewer passes than normal.

With that said, I thought it was stupid to drop eight into zones early in the game against a rookie quarterback. All that did was let him get comfortable. I'd rather try to get heavy pressure early and make him uncomfortable.
  8. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,878 Messages
    41 Likes Received
  9. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,930 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    If you're worried about scrambling, zone is actually better because everyone is facing the QB. If you're playing man-to-man and your players turn and follow the receiver, the QB can take off, which is why you'd want to have a spy.
  10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

6,976 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Thread needs to be stickied. OL is not the only thing that will keep Cowboys out of playoffs.
  11. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Active Member

950 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I can’t see how anyone can be happy with a defnese that’s as bad as we are at generating turnovers especially when the Cowboys spend so much of their top draft picks and free agents on that side of the ball.

At the rate we’re going there is no way we’ll make the playoffs never mind win a Super Bowl.

“Yards allowed” is not nearly as meaningful as Turnovers generated.