1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Dems would vote McCain if their candidate loses nomination

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Dallas, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    March 26, 2008

If McCain vs. Obama, 28% of Clinton Backers Go for McCain

If McCain vs. Clinton, 19% of Obama backers go for McCain
    by Frank Newport

PRINCETON, NJ -- A sizable proportion of Democrats would vote for John McCain next November if he is matched against the candidate they do not support for the Democratic nomination. This is particularly true for Hillary Clinton supporters, more than a quarter of whom currently say they would vote for McCain if Barack Obama is the Democratic nominee.

[IMG]
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,701 Likes Received
    I doubt it happens when push comes to shove.

Just as I doubt some republicans really are debating whether they will or will not vote for McCain.

When all is said and done, the dems will vote for the dem and the repubs for the repub.

Sure there will be indies and a few cross overs but this stuff is nonsense polls until the real election starts.
  3. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't think so. I think the 2 camps are CLEARLY split now w/ all of the slinging of blood going on tween Obama and Hill. Its the old guard against the new guard. It is very entertaining to watch. There are some bad blood right now. :p:

People don't forget this stuff in a week or 2. I think it will carry over and impact the elections a good deal.

See I can disagree w/ you w/o beating you on the head w/ my wiffle-ball bat.
  4. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

634 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I think it would be more likely that they would refrain from voting. I can't see many voting for someone else out of spite, however I could see someone saying screw it I'm just going to stay home.
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  6. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ultimately, I'm betting you'll find that McCain will cause a lot of conservatives not to cast a vote for President at all... particularly not those conservatives who get their political philosophy from such deep thinkers as Ann Coulter...

I don't think that crowd can REALLY bring itself to cast a vote for such liberals as Clinton or Obama, as Ann Coulter claims she's gonna do, so they'll register their protest by not pulling the lever for the Presidential race...

The extremely high turnout for Democratic primaries ought to tell anybody paying attention that the Democrats are both serious and focused on getting the GOP out of the Oval Office; whoever the party settles on, that's who the true Democrats will vote for... no real Democrat will ever cast a vote for more of the Iraq War, and more deficit spending...
  7. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And when the bloodletting is all over, the common enemy will be Dubya and the GOP...

Yes, Dubya will be an issue hanging over McCain's head, because McCain promises us a continuation of Dubya's policies...

And so, the Democrats will rally together, to beat the common enemy...
  8. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    As usual. I think you are completely false about your observations. I am just stating the obvious.

You are still my Alaska good buddy tho. :p:

Seriously. I think Anne and her folks hate the Dems far more than they hate McCain and will cast the vote for him.

Republicans really don't operate like the split party of Dems atm. :D
  9. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

You mean the Super Delegates will rally and choose a nominee, because they know more than the Democratic voting base. :D

There - FIXED.
  10. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A vote for either party is a vote for deficit spending. I agree with your comment on the Iraq War. I see the election this way:

If Obama is the nominee, McCain gets trounced.
    If Clinton is the nominee, McCain wins a close election.

The conservative dislike for Clinton will be enough to overcome their dislike for McCain.

If Obama does win the nomination, expect a large number of conservative voters to vote for third party candidates instead of McCain.
  11. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And yet, you don't attempt to argue the issues with me... this suggests that either you're not confident in your position, or in your ability to outtalk me...

And you're cool with me, Dallas...

Well, that ain't what she's saying...

Not generally, but true conservatives in the GOP are very upset at what Dubya and his little gang of neocons have done to their party... there is a thread in this forum right now about an article that appeared in a highly conservative publication, by a highly conservative pundit name of Andrew Bacevich, discussing this conservative discontent...

It is a real thing, and it is a problem for McCain...

But in the final analysis, it won't be the number of GOP defectors voting Democratic, or Democratic defectors voting Republican, that will decide the election, ultimately it will be how the independents fall...

And when it comes to that, I believe the independents will care about two things-- the recession, and the war... both of those work against the Republicans, and McCain, because he offers the people more of the same that created these two huge problems in the first place... the American electorate is hungry for a different approach, having seen the neocon approach fail miserably... that's precisely why Obama's mantra is one word-- "change"...

Even I'll acknowledge that he hasn't done a whole lot to spell out what kind of change he'd give us, but in this election cycle, I don't think he really has to... all he has to do is be the Anti-Neocon...
  12. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, in one way that's true, in one way it's not... I'm sure that the Democrats will point out that the last time we got deficit spending back to a balanced budget, it was with a Dem in the White House...

I agree completely, and what's more, I'm confident that even GOP tacticians would agree with you... the Republicans really, really want to see Hillary as the nominee... I don't know if McCain would get "trounced" against Obama, but I'm fairly sure that he'd do significantly better against Hillary...

You mean, Ron Paul could be the GOP's Ralph Nader this year?? :D :D :D
  13. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Anne spouts a lot of crap. She is like the Howard Stern of the Right wing media. I don't take much of what she says to heart. She has known to say many many things and did the complete opposite later.

I still think her and her folks will vote for McCain when it's all said and done.

Long way to the election. We'll just have to see.

Meanwhile...what are your feelings on the Dems stirrin the Super Delagates up to take away the nominee from the people and just do it themselves?

Curious to know.
  14. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm gonna wuss out on this question, say that I want to see further developments on this front before I figure out what I think about it... once I see how this shakes out, I'll probably figure out what I think about it...

Right now, the only feeling I have on this is that Hillary thinks the superdelegates ought to ignore the primary process, and vote for the candidate they believe has the best chance to win... well, if Hillary can't prevail in the primary process, how does that suggest she has the best chance to win??
  15. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Nice post and I concur sir. Well said.
  16. silverbear

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You do know that I pretty much loathe Hillary, don't you??
  17. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,794 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Once again we agree on something. SCARY!!
  18. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't even take that into consideration when the Super Delegates are threatening to take the nominee out of the hands of the people.
  19. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,019 Messages
    137 Likes Received

Well, that is why they were put there in the first place, you know. Just in case.....

The thing about McCain, for me, is that I think when push comes to shove, he will do what he thinks is best for the country. I may disagree with him on particular issues, but I don't see him kowtowing to the ivory tower ideologues of the extreme right. I think he's actually the best candidate the republicans could have put forward. If winning, instead of ideological purity is their goal.