1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DFW-Gosselin: It's surprising the Cowboys neglected their two biggest needs

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Sep 2, 2013.

1. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    That goes to show you how meaningless that stat is.
  2. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Don't play dumb with me either. The Cowboys ranked 31st in rushing last year. You pick out one game and declare that's all that's needed to support your argument? That's ridiculous.
  3. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,690 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    The opposite seems to ring true in our case last 3 seasons 6-10 8-8 8-8, that's what our obsession with value has gotten us and it's for the most part been pretty consistent what areas of our team has held us back during those seasons, it's not like we addressed one thing and another held us back our line play has been horrible throughout this stretch.
    If we go 8-8 again this year i guess we can all smile about that 2nd TE and 3rd WR sitting on the bench and how much smarter we where then the rest of the league for getting them
    jjktkk likes this.
  4. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,690 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    You give Romo descent blocking and he'll be even better our backup TE can't even do that, he'll ride the bench this year and next years draft there will be 3-5 more guys just like him. People seem to think we have ages to turn this around, we don't Romo has tops 3 good years left in him if we keep trying to build for the future while at the same time competing we'll keep having 8-8 seasons. Back up TE and 3rd WR was not bigger needs then OL and DL, those are the positions that will hold us back this year while Willams and Escobar rides the bench.

And if you wanna talk value drafts just go look up the ultimate value draft where we kept trading down for value in 09, how did drafting a backup kicker workout? we're not smarter then everyone else and we're not a 12-4 team with bad luck that doesn't have needs. We have major needs and if we keep ignoring them we're not going to get any better
  5. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

1,828 Messages
    914 Likes Received
    Our last 3 drafts have been about restocking the talent pool, getting younger and getting more talented. Mission accomplished.
  6. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,357 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    Both Escobar and Williams will be getting starting rate snaps. Thanks for playing though.
  7. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,690 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    And both Hannah and Harris could have done the same job in Hannas case probably better, Williams looks to raw to expect much from this year
  8. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,633 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Well said!!
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,417 Messages
    6,475 Likes Received
    Drafting BPA is the only way to go. If you're doing that and not improving the team the problem isn't in the philosophy it's in the scouting.
    Galian Beast likes this.
  10. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,782 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Sometimes, you can speak righteous truth.
  11. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,475 Likes Received
    I consider you one of my closest friends.
    dargonking999 likes this.
  12. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,435 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    Yet you were against the drafting of Escobar because he was a tight end?
  13. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,475 Likes Received
    No. Because I didn't think he was the BPA and the real value there was at a position of great need.
  14. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,782 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    No he was against drafting him because he thought there were better players on the board that would have helped our team just as much or more. I feel like escobar was a need pick more than a BPA pick. They wanted to move to a 12 system, saw that a highly rated TE was still out there, and went for it, rather than draft BPA. Does it mean it was a bad pick? only time will tell
  15. Risen Star

20,417 Messages
    6,475 Likes Received
    Fasano and Bennett also soured me on the pick. We've tried featuring 2 TEs before and it's never really panned out.
  16. visionary

visionary Benched

7,264 Messages
    1,909 Likes Received
    When a team and FO don't know how to evaluate talent they will have players ranked in the wrong place . Using our board to justify our picks when we have a history of poor drafting is just window dressing
  17. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,782 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Well in fairness, Fasano was a god awful reach, that we gave up on too early, and Bennett was just a headcase that we thought we could reign in and failed miserably. But they say third time is the charm? lol
  18. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,357 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    We have not tried the 12 formation like we are trying it now. We are tied to it. We no longer even have a fullback on the roster.

Hanna is not as good as people think he is. People are in love with his measurables, but he has yet to put it together on the field.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,106 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    When we drafted Dez, Sean Lee and Bruce Carter for value there were plenty of tears.
    Then they actually played. Feel free to knock them now if you like.

I would have never touched a TE in round 2 but with the way the NFL is going it does make sense.
    Especially when there wasn't any value for OL/DL sitting there.

The thought you draft for need and immediately become great is as much a stretch as one can make.

You get value out of the draft for 5 years and then you can win big regularly.
    We got nothing out of some drafts not long ago and that is what hurts us.

Dallas absolutely factors need and position in to their drafting.
    They don't just blindly reach for the next ranked player at a position of need though.
    No team is that stupid.
  20. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,106 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    thats about as poor logically as an argument can get.

dallas can ONLY judge itself based off it's board. Its the only board they have come draft day.
    that is the ONLY justification for picks that matters.

dallas has actually proven quite a strong evaluator of talent in recent years.
    feel free to lie to yourself if it makes you feel better, but it isnt going to win any arguments.

i wish we could get all you guys together to cry on each others shoulders.
    just get a good cleansing cry before, you know, game 1....