1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DFW: Sabin: Don't be surprised if Tyron Smith and Doug Free flip positions next year

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by ThreeSportStar80, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rainer Sabin chatted with Cowboys fans Thursday afternoon about a number of Cowboys-related topics. Here are some highlights from the chat:

Free has struggled this year...does [Tyron] Smith and [Doug] Free flip sides for next year?

Rainer Sabin: I could see that happening. Smith has more upside than Free and after investing a first-round pick in him the Cowboys probably envisioned Smith playing on the left side at some point in the near future.

Read more here: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...th-and-doug-free-flip-positions-next-year.ece
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah I think that would be a very wise move....
  3. RCowboyFan

RCowboyFan New Member

6,926 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Actually I would be surprised if it didn't happen. I could almost guarantee that move coming. Even if Free didn't struggle that much, I could have seen a possibility. With Free pretty much begging to be moved with the way he has played this year, I see the move pretty much a needed one.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    people ad nauseum claim that Free's best position is LT. But honestly the games he played at RT were the best he played period. Better then he has ever done at LT.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,730 Messages
    5,262 Likes Received
    The Cowboys planned on moving Tyron to LT when they made the selection.

You don't take a RT in the top 10 of the draft.

I'm actually embarrassed for the writer that he thinks he's breaking news here.
  6. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who the is Ranier Sabin? Of course we wouldn't be surprise. I don't think it's a lock to happen, but it certainly could. Why would Ranier Sabin have any more idea about the likelihood of this move than anybody else?
  7. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,551 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen.
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree... He's a heck of a RT.
  9. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope Tyron Smith stays at RT, because he is a athletic, freak beast in the running game.

Smith deserves serious consideration for Offensive Rookie of the Year and for the Pro Bowl.
  10. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Free has struggled badly this season. Hopefully moving to the other side helps him out.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,647 Messages
    1,114 Likes Received
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,604 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Free's regressed, no doubt. I wouldn't say he's struggled badly. Sure, he's been beat from time to time, but for the most part he's been fine. I think there is something from a technique standpoint, that defenses have figured out and are exploiting, and if that can't be overcome, he may need to move over.

I love Smith, and think he'll eventually move to the left side. But I'm interested to see how he'd do there, seeing as how he didn't play LT in college. He hasn't seen the caliber of pass rusher at RT that he would at LT, either. And he's stronger and more powerful than Free, and that type of player typically plays RT. It's premature at this point to say he'd be as good at LT as he has at RT.
  13. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,091 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    should be either the left or right starting guard next year for the Cowboys, imo. The Cowboys are wasting his talents at the tackle position because he could be an All Pro guard if switched there.
  14. vaturkey

vaturkey Active Member

396 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Anyone who is anyone knew that was the plan since day one. Tyron has much much more strength and quickness then Free with stronger hands. He should be an all pro left tackle in the next two years. Its been a given they would swap sides at some point. This isn't the problem. The problem is we need an all pro center and haven't had a good one for about 10-15 years.
  15. STSINAZ

STSINAZ Active Member

2,845 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    free=probowl RT mediocre LT

Smith=probowl LT
  16. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,479 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    BOLD STATEMENT!!!!!
    There's gonna be a FA period this offseason...........I wonder if I can be a sports journalist???
  17. coyboy

coyboy Member

113 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Makes sense
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,463 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    I kinda thought that was probably the plan all along and why they drafted him as high as they did in the first place.
  19. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,589 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Uh...no.

He's actually graded out well for most of the season. Even against Jason Pierre Paul, he gave up 2 sacks and that was it. And one of the sacks came when Romo held onto the ball because nobody got open on the read. And Free. We are also 5th and 15th in runs towards his side.

I think we need to move them because Smith is an elite athlete at the position (he dominated Justin Tuck) whereas Free has struggled against elite pass rushers. Plus, Free is a good run blocker which is something that Tyron is still learning...but, it's usually easier to run block on the weak side.

YR
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,942 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    depends on your standard for GOOD. He has been decent most of the time.

Smith has such an out of the world potential that you really have no choice but to put him at LT sooner or later.