1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did Clinton Advisor Geraldine Ferraro Cross the Line?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Obama fury over Clinton backer Ferraro's race remark
    1 hour, 37 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Barack Obama's White House campaign lashed out in fury Tuesday after a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter attributed his stunning march through US politics to his race.

Obama aide Susan Rice called for Clinton to fire Geraldine Ferraro, the only woman yet to run on a major party's presidential ticket, after her comments Friday to a Los Angeles newspaper.

"That's a really outrageous and offensive comment," Rice said on MSNBC television after Ferraro, who sits on Clinton's finance committee, had said: "If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position."

"It is the sort of comment that we have heard repeatedly, I'm afraid, from some of the Clinton surrogates," said Rice, Obama's leading adviser on foreign policy.

She said Ferraro's remarks were "far worse" than those of another foreign policy aide, Samantha Power, who was forced to resign from the Obama campaign last week for calling Clinton a "monster."

"I think if Senator Clinton is serious about putting an end to statements that have racial implications, that diminish Barack Obama because he's an African-American man, then she ought to really repudiate this comment and make it clear that there's no place in her campaign for people who will say this kind of thing," Rice said.

Ferraro was Walter Mondale's running mate for the Democrats in the 1984 presidential election. They lost in a landslide to the Republican ticket led by Ronald Reagan.

In an interview Friday with the Daily Breeze newspaper, she was quoted as saying that Obama's success revealed the "very sexist" attitudes of the media.

"And if he was a woman -- of any color -- he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept," Ferraro said.

The Clinton campaign had no immediate comment. Late last year, the New York senator fired two junior aides for spreading emails claiming falsely that Obama is secretly a Muslim.
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :huh:

I don't get it. Are they suggesting that she's incorrect here?

Not that Hillary (or her backers) should be throwing stones. You could just as fairly say that Hillary Clinton would not be in her position if she wasn't married to the former President.

Most people who rise to that level of politics end up getting there (and rising above the crowd) by a combination of factors that include hard work, but also include luck, circumstance, knowing the right people and some factors entirely beyond their control.

McCain wouldn't be in his position if he hadn't have been a POW.

George W wouldn't be in his position if his dad wasn't President.

Fred Thompson wouldn't be in his position if he didn't have his acting career.

Rudy G wouldn't be in his position if it weren't for 9/11.

John Edwards wouldn't be in his position if he wouldn't have made a fortune chasing ambulances.

Al Gore wouldn't be in his position if it weren't for his dad's influence.

And Obama has certainly been helped by his interesting ethnic background.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,925 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    Ferraro is an idiot for saying that -- why? Because that was EXACTLY what Gloria Steinem said in a NY Times op-ed piece that generated a ton of controversy a month and a half ago.

Let's see, Steinem tried it out and people got upset - hey, let's try that one again. Genius.
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Can I get you a shovel Hil?
  5. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    [IMG]

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    How exactly was that offensive?
  7. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Well I figure it implies that he has nothing else to offer, aside from being black, thus diminishing the notion that he can lead. The only reason he gets attention 'is because he is black' is pretty deragatory.

True or not, but had he said the only reason anyone knows her name is because of who she married (true), you know they would have come down on him with both feet... like they did over the monster comment (which is also true).
  8. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. heavyg

heavyg Active Member

1,788 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Well what does he have to offer? Except for talking about change and hope. Thats all well and good but how is he going to attain that? He has yet to explain it. He is one of the best inspirational speakers I have seen since Bill Clinton. But that is all he has show is a speaking ability nothing more. At least IMO
  10. trickblue

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    You aren't seeing the big picture...

Personally I like Obama. I would NEVER vote for him, but I like him. He has about as much experience for the job as I do. Listen closely to his rhetoric; he has no power to raise teacher's pay. He has no authority to raise SS. He promises many things he can NEVER deliver...

I don't want him to get the nomination as I would relish crushing Hillary... She is unelectable...

What I DO mind is people voting for a candidate in which they don't know their record...

Obama is the most lib Senator we have ever had. Personally I never vote for Senators, but they haven't left us a choice. Hillary is a dunce. Obama is green. McCain is an ***...

Choose your poison... it ain't gonna be pretty...
  11. trickblue

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    You are dead on...

He is VERY eloquent, but he is an empty suit in regards to policy...

He speaks sweet oratory, but it has little substance...

I am just as qualified as he is...
  12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    He's obviously intelligent. He's run a textbook campaign suggesting that he's a good manager capable of controlling strong personalities and implementing a long-term political strategy. He surrounds himself with competent people. He certainly seems to have a better demeanor for the position than either Hillary or McCain. He generates enthusiasm which could help democrats increase their majority in Congress. And he exhibited sound judgment on the war in Iraq.

I don't think experience in Washington necessarily makes someone a better presidential prospect. Intelligence, integrity, personality, judgment, the ability to identify and surround yourself with talent, and the capacity to inspire others to join you in a common cause are equally important in my opinion.

Having said that, he could turn out to be dreadful, as might any of the other candidates.

You just never know.

Heck, I thought George W. would be a decent president before things got crazy after 9/11.
  13. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    She's still alive?
    Hurry. Quick. Post a picture her ridiculous haircut!!!
    I can't wait!!!
  14. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Judgement alert, judgement alert!!!
  15. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Eh, with a liberal Congress a few more liberal bills might'd be written to him because, well... he's liberal.

I agree with you about his speech's lacking substance and that he'll likely never deliver most of it simply because he can't; but have you been to Harvard law?
    Been a Congressman?
    I also agree with you on the congressman in that I won't vote for them either... but he's got experience.
    I'm more worried about his character. In that aspect, I like McCain... but I'd have a hard time voting for him....

I do remember how much you do love him. I told you he was coming.. lol
  16. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I don't think I'm the one missing the big picture.
    If the man has nothing to offer, then by all means prove that assertion with some thing just a bit more profound than, 'he's black'.

The big picture seems to suggest that the Clinton campaign has nothing left but this kind of shallow rhetoric.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,687 Messages
    2,706 Likes Received
    They are pulling out all the stops.

Funny thing to me, going into the primaries you just know they did not fear Obama and figured they had the black vote all wrapped up.
  18. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Yeah and those stops are now sinking their ship.
    Their arrogance didn't surprise me, Clinton thought she was a shoo-in.

Watching her at some speech yesterday almost got me sick. She's a monumental phony with nothing to say. Obama might not have the credentials, but I'd like to see someone other than a 'seasoned' same-old-same-old crook get into the White House. She represents nothing more than just that.
  19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    And yet many people continue to support her candidacy despite the character flaws and unsavory tactics that seem obvious to us. Go figure.
  20. trickblue

28,700 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    It's very painful for me Ben, pray for me... :D