1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did George Bush just outlaw war protests?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by thescarface1989, Jul 31, 2007.

1. thescarface1989

thescarface1989 New Member

430 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html

http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1023.htm

A law passed this week states that all assets can be taken away from. "...any (citizen) person who undermines efforts to promote economic reconstruction and political reform in Iraq."

This is supposed to be a law to keep terrorists from funding war efforts, but the wording is so broad that anyone who protests against the war in Iraq could legally have everything they own taken away from them.

I'm sure somebody will respond with something like, "but he won't use it like that." I realize that it seems far fetched, but the fact that it's legal is very unnerving.

Is this real?:confused:
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He should sign an executive order forcing war protesters to take showers (with soap!).
  3. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gotta love well intentioned, not well thought out plans. If this is true, and it was passed into law, it was done so with the help of the Democratically controlled Congress.
  4. CowboyJeff

CowboyJeff New Member

1,905 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    scratch that. It looks like it's an executive order, not a law. Executive Orders are very dangerous. Hopefully someone challenges this "law" and lets the Supreme Court decide if it's just.
  5. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I read both links, but I don't see where it even implies that you can be arrested or have assets siezed for protesting.

It appears as though you would have to donate money or property to a terrorist organization active in Iraq to be penalized.