1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Did the game pass Landry by

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zaxor, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah that is sorta what I meant...though I couldn't spell it out so clearly like you did...again, with good and heady young players I still think his Flex would work or would have worked...

and you are right Tom did botch things up...Don, Roger and Danny have all said that...i.e. Tom would send in 74 Z Left go and they would change it to want he really wanted to call like 74 Z Right go...but I doubt Tom was unique in that...

But I am glad to see you also thought the game did not pass him by...when I use to hear those talking heads say that I use to get so mad cause to me it sounded very insulting towards Tom Landry
  2. jman

jman Active Member

1,765 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Almost accurate. Bum Bright gave Tex the unenvyable job of firing Landry the year before Jerry Jones bought the team. Tex said he just could not bring himself to do it and let him coach that last year, I believe, knowing the team was going to be sold and the job would be taken out of his hands.

So one way or the other, Landry would have been gone. Like you said, Bright took the money and history took care of insuring Jones took the blame for firing the only coach that the Cowboys ever had.