1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: 20 Years After Jerry & Jimmy Split

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by peplaw06, Mar 31, 2014.

1. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,611 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Cowlishaw: 20 years after Jerry & Jimmy split, new spin on why Johnson left 'Boys

One man sought peace. The other craved power. Since both ultimately achieved those goals, the 20th anniversary of the Jimmy Johnson-Jerry Jones breakup could be cause for celebration if not for that one sticking point.

In the discussion of great football teams, the Cowboys have become irrelevant in Jimmy’s absence.

And as much as he takes some measure of delight in Jones’ struggle to win without him, Johnson was in no mood to discuss what happened on March 29, 1994, when I called him in south Florida on Friday morning.

“What anniversary is this one?’’ he said, laughing. “They’re always having some kind of anniversaries down there ... I guess because they don’t go to Super Bowls anymore.’’

Shots. Fired.

Johnson talked about recent fishing trips with old pals. He talked about his new Hawker 800 XP that will whip him across the country this season for Fox NFL Sunday appearances in Los Angeles.

He did not want to talk about the Cowboys.

“Do you want to know how many times Jerry or Stephen have called me in 20 years for advice or to ask about a player? Zero,” said Johnson. “And yet they call [Larry] Lacewell.’’

Drops the mic.

Read More: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...plit-new-spin-on-why-johnson-left-cowboys.ece
  2. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    No one has ever doubted Jimmy wanted out, but it's insane to think he wouldn't have wanted a shot at three in a row before he bolted.

Even with the loss of those coaches, as we saw, the team was on Jimmy auto-pilot the next couple of years. What Jimmy could have perhaps done, that didn't happen anyway, was keep Irvin and others on the reservation a little longer before they went buck-wild.

Irvin needed Jimmy.
    dwight and cajuncocoa like this.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,308 Messages
    2,868 Likes Received
    Exactly what I have been saying for years. But there are those who will always believe otherwise I suppose.
  4. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,235 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    Very few people actually think Jerry pushed him out literally, but we know he didn't exactly make an effort to get him to stay.

Isn't that the job of a GM? To hire and retain championship-caliber coaches?

Jimmy need his ego stroked. It should have been stroked after two Super Bowls.
  5. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

861 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Yep, if Jones is a great owner as some say he should of done everything in his power to keep Jimmy, not drunkenly saying things that threw gas on the fire.
  6. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,899 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    Yes I been saying the same thing too. I was living in South Florida then. Jimmy wanted the Dolphins job originally, that was going around for years. But then Shula signed a contract extension and JJ bought the Cowboys. Jimmy, hitting his 5 year limit with the Hurricanes then took the Cowboys job. Once again Shula had a few years left on his contract. So the rumors started again. He was hitting his 5 years limit once again, but with the Cowboys.
    I forgot all the Jacksonville comment, but I think he used that to get to Jerry possibly. To start a controversy. Who really knows but him. He wanted the Dolphins job, but knew he would have to wait another year when Shula's contract was up.
  7. big dog cowboy

48,308 Messages
    2,868 Likes Received
    Jerry didn't have anything to offer Jimmy that would make him stay. Jimmy had already decided to leave before the Super Bowl. At that point it was a done deal.
    zrinkill likes this.
  8. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,338 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Lacewell.....lol...LOL...LMAO!!....

[IMG]
  9. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,675 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    exactly
  10. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    Kind of a telling statement from Jimmy and it is kind of insane.
  11. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    I don't doubt that Jimmy was set on leaving but you still have to ask yourself "why." When Jimmy was thinking about staying another year to see if they could go 3 in a row, Jerry wanted to re-do Jimmy's contract and strip him of his personnel authority. Jerry knew that Jimmy would never go for it and that was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. The rest is history......
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  12. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,313 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    ^^This.

For Jimmy to want to leave Dallas, there had to be an underlying reason. In retrospect, long-term Cowboy fans should be able to easily see it...knowing now just how impossible it must be to work with Jerry and his ego. Jimmy left other venues before, but always for something better. In Dallas, in the Spring of 1994, he had perhaps the most enviable job in all of sports....until and unless one considers what it must have been like to put up with an ego such as Jerry's.
    PA Cowboy Fan and Dodger12 like this.
  13. BigStar

BigStar Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,043 Messages
    1,181 Likes Received
    Jimmy probly had a few in em (nothin wrong with that). That's candid stuff right there. Some good one liners in there too. Does Jimmy really think JJ would call him for advice considering everything (ego, history, media cat fights bw the two since the divorce)? Love Jimmy, but get real brudda...
  14. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,611 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    No one can convince me that Jimmy would have foregone the chance to go for 3, 4, 5 super bowls in a row if Jerry wasn't inserting himself into the process.
  15. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,859 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Larry Lacewell is no threat to anybody's legacy, hence the phone calls.
    Larry Lacewell will never be invited to be in the Ring of Honor, hence the phone calls.
    Larry Lacewell will always be invited for drinks, hence the phone calls.

Jimmy?....hence the no phone calls.
    cajuncocoa and BigStar like this.
  16. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Cowlishaw loves inserting that dagger. I've noticed that over the years.
  17. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,057 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Me too. And I'm not necessarily a Jerry Jones fan.
    Johnson was very calculating and wanted out. And he knew the right buttons to push with the owner, just as he knew the right buttons to push with a player.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,057 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    How so? I liked his piece.
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,587 Messages
    1,912 Likes Received
    This? Again?
  20. big dog cowboy

48,308 Messages
    2,868 Likes Received
    Yeah the off season sucks but the anniversary of "The Split" means we get to rehash it every year for eternity.