1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Anthony Spencer seeing why Bears players were ‘raving’ to him about Rod Marinell

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 29, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,647 Messages
    4,768 Likes Received
    While on his trip to Hawaii, Spencer chatted with a few of the Chicago Bears defenders that Marinelli guided as their defensive coordinator over the last three seasons.

“They were raving about him so I knew that he was the real deal,” Spencer said Tuesday following organized team activities at Valley Ranch. “It makes you listen to him that much more.”

erhaps one of the things those players mentioned to Spencer, who was playing in his first Pro Bowl, was Marinelli’s attention to detail, something the six-year veteran is already noticing about his 63-year-old coach.

“He focuses on the little things,” Spencer said. “You win and lose in this game by doing the little things. He’s making us do it. He records pretty much everything we do so you can’t say that you weren’t doing it. I love that part about it, just being able to see myself through the individual, throughout practice, seeing it being able to transfer from individual to the team periods.”

And there are a variety of things that Marinelli will point out. Some of the examples Spencer mentioned included watching a player’s first step, what they’re looking at, where they’re putting their hands, the way they twist their hips and how they dip their shoulders.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...players-were-raving-about-rod-marinelli.html/
  2. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    The defense should be better just from the new coaches. I never liked Ryan and his narcisistic attitude so I'm glad he's gone. Still worried about how Ware will hold up with the switch to DE. He's not getting any younger.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,334 Likes Received
    I think it will be interesting to see how Ware and Spencer do in this defense. No longer will they be dropping into coverage or at least not near as often as before, they will be able to attack
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,820 Messages
    5,531 Likes Received
    It always surprises me to see stuff like this. I'd assume every player on the roster would have met with their position coach prior to the end of the season and been given a weight and training objective for the offseason. Every now and then you'll hear guys who say they just decided they should add or lose 10 pounds or so for the upcoming season all on their own.
  5. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Reports are that Spencer has looked the best in OTA's... Take it for what it's worth.
  6. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

446 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Thats good news, considering the amount of Salary Cap $ ($10.6 Million) he is getting paid.

I really wasnt fond of him being franchised at that amount.

:money:
  7. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,974 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Now if Spencer will heed that greatness of Marinelli and not take plays off as he has admitted, then I will be happy.
  8. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,086 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    Take it for what our OL is worth too.
  9. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    Umm that's why I added take it for what it's worth...
  10. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

776 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    yeah - 3 years ago...

Move on.
  11. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,099 Messages
    690 Likes Received
    I'm not trying to disparage Spencer or the new coach but I thought this stuff was D-line/O-line 101.
  12. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I'm amazed that players are amazed that he pays attention to first steps, focus, etc. Those are the things that any coach and player should work on. What in the name of Ernie Stautner were they doing before during practice?

PS I'm sure glad they canned Ryan.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,334 Likes Received
    I think Spencer will have a very good year. He is coming off a solid season last year and now in a defense that is not going to ask him to drop off in coverage. I think it allows him to be very aggressive at the snap of the ball.
  14. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    He's never said he's taken plays off.. and on the contrary, he plays sideline to sideline. Alot of his sacks in the past have been pursuit sacks.. staying with the play. I've also seen numerous plays from him where he makes the tackle in the run game after beginning to rush the passer and getting himself 5 yards upfield and then coming all the way back 10 yards down the field to wrap up from behind. I've never had a problem with his effort or drive on the field for us.. and he's always been a guy who's generated alot of QB pressures for us. Some just think he was dogging it because he wasn't always in the right position to finish and didn't get the sack totals that some would have liked him to for a few seasons. That's my take.
  15. TwoDeep3

5,974 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Thanks, but I'm not gonna until he shows he's worth 10 million.
  16. TwoDeep3

5,974 Messages
    1,607 Likes Received
    Roy, do a little research on this please. He admitted he did take plays off.

NM - I researched it and came up with a message board that spoke about it. I think it would be highly unlikely that I misunderstood, or created a message board from two years ago to pass off a fabrication.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=470552&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Already researched this topic plenty of times in the past when people tried to complain about this before. If you, or those fans, would actually read into what the guy said, instead of just taking a single quote out of context.. you would know exactly what he had said. I'll say this, if you are researching this, it should be fairly easy for you to find the actual article that was reported on espn about this topic when it first came out. Quoting a different message board of uninformed fans reacting to the article isn't a very good source.

Im not ok with guys who don't give it their all, and I really have no reason to want to give Spencer a pass.. i just know what he said, and if you look into it further, it actually shows a good attitude out of him, not the lazy one that quote seems to convey on its own.

Again, im not trying to say you're making things up.. just that you need to read a bit further into his comments that day.
  18. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,429 Messages
    632 Likes Received
    :thumbup: You do that.