1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN Blog: '4th and Long' - Finalist *Spoilers* - Merge

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Monster Heel

Monster Heel Benched

1,923 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can someone name a current 5'8" WR of note?
  2. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yea, it will be really hard to beat out the likes of Manuel Johnson, Mike Jefferson, Julian Hawkins, Travis Wilson, and Kevin Olgetree.

:rolleyes:

I'm not counting Stanback, because I'm sure he'll be on the 75 man roster. But even then, it isn't like he couldn't beat out Stanback. Stanback hasn't amounted to anything and is always hurt. I'm not saying that Holley is making the final roster, but to say he can't get past the first cut is ridiculous.
  3. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pontificating against Hollley by using his college record is a dreadfully weak argument because the whole point of the show was to showcase players who have evolved and stepped-up from their past accoldas.

Holley was the best player on the show overall. everyone looks at Hawkins shiftiness and speed, but Holley plainly makes plays as a receiver. He earned the spot based on his evolution on 4th And Long - past had nothing to do with it, not should it have.

And on special teams, everyone got enamoured with Hawkins as a kick returner. Yeah, like Dallas is going ot shelve Felix Jones in that role for Hawkins. :rolleyes:.

But then everyone wants to ignore what Holley can do on special teams. I won't! What I saw was a guy that blocked out the gunner almost every time as a blocker on the kick return team, and that can be huge when you're making those blocks and opening up lanes for Felix Jones on kickoffs.

I also don't take lightly what the coaches said of Holley - something to the effect of that he already brings more ability than Hurd and Stanback on special teams, and that he can even surpass them as a WR because of how he goes after the ball. Buy hey, what do coaches know. :rolleyes:
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Hurd is about a lock as one can be and Holley just doesn't have the talent to beat out the others.
  5. speedkilz88

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    He already went to Montreal and played in a couple of their preseason games. He's also on their roster. This has been discussed for weeks.
  6. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, just ignore what the coaches said of Holley - something to the effect of that he already can bring more versatility than Hurd and Stanback on special teams, and that he can even surpass some of these WRs because of how he goes after the ball. Buy hey, what do coaches know.

Don't look now, but Holley might just pick that "lock".
  7. speedkilz88

20,849 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    :lmao:
    Keep the dream.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Hurd is going to be tough to beat out because he is one of our best special teams players and he has the ability to make some acrobatic plays at time as a receiver.

Special teams is so key once you get past your first 3 receivers.

Hurd is the perfect #4 receiver that can fill in if needed.

I haven no case for Stanback.
  9. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,639 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    Steve Smith, Desean Jackson, Wes Welker just off the top of my head.

They might not be exactly 5'8 but they are pretty damn close.

We need that type of receiver on this team though. Patrick Crayton returning punts again? Give me a break. Hawkins was better than everyone we had last year as a punt returner.

And that's not even counting what he could do covering and possibly in the actual receiving game.
  10. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, Hawkins was so great that no other NFL team is inviting him to camp. With the game on the line, and him as a kick returner, I yelled out "welcome to the CFL" when I saw him put the fuble on the ground and have it returned by the other team for the game winner.

Sorry Hawkins apologists, but the Cowboys CAN'T use that.

Welcome to the CFL Hawkins lovers! :laugh2:
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I honestly think I could tell those coaches more about our depth than they could.

They most likely are going off hear say or just guessing.

Hurd is the real deal at his role.

Stanback is absolutely nothing but a prospect that hasn't panned out.
  12. AMERICAS_FAN

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :eek:

double :eek: :eek:

Yeah, we can all end this thread there.
  13. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

8,077 Messages
    543 Likes Received
    I can guarantee you that JJ or any of the Dallas coaches will go back to those players and say 'Did you see what Avezzano said about you? Are you going to take that type of nonsense?'

I would also stress that as a TV show, we are shown what they want us to see. The entire show is crafted as a narrative - it's entirely possible that Hawkins wasn't nearly as good as the highlights indicate nor Holley. They aren't going to edit the series to make these guys looks like chumps.

How much of these players really stepped up, though? I doubt that throughout the show that they've turned the corner and the past should be forgotten. Two of the final three players were cut last summer by the BC Lions in the CFL (Smith and Holley). If they can't stick to a CFL team, they can't stick to an NFL team.

It's a nice story, I enjoyed the series, but like all reality show contestants, once the show draws to a close, your 15 minutes of fame is clocked at 14:59.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Well they did a hell of a job downplaying Holleys spectacularness because Hawkins made just about every big play on that show.

IMO it was between Jones and Holley from the get go and the rest of the people were just so they could have a show.
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Dude.

Seriously, do you think Hawkins just happened to fumble on the last play of the game and the other team returned it for a TD to win as the clock hit 0:00?

You should have heard Joe on the radio last week saying how much of this show was dictated by the production company for dramatic purposes... Not by Irvin or the coaches.
  16. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Coach Joe said it himself. Hawkins is the best Special teams player out of the group.

That alone gives him waaaaaay more of a chance than Holley because Holley wasn't even close to being the playmaker that Hawkins had been as a receiver anyways.

The 1 and only reason Holley won is because he is 6'3 215 pounds.

Well Dallas currently has 3 of those guys and 2 of them are locks to be top 3 receivers.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    I bet they know 0 about Sam Hurd.

I bet if you put them on the spot they would have no idea the type of player he is on Special teams, where he went to college, or just about anything.
  18. SA_Gunslinger

SA_Gunslinger Official CZ Ea-girls hater

4,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    they also stated that Holley could be better than several of the WR on the current roster.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,619 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Playmaker thinks he is better than Hurd and Stanback, that's good enough for me.
  20. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

4,106 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Then, I guess you didn't see the last game.

According to the "stats," Holley had more TDs, yards and catches, and no TO's.

Again, a little hard to judge contestants on an edited TV show from your couch.

You're acting as if they just cut Tony Romo.

Time will tell if Holley's any good.

Relax.