1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: DMN Blog: Bob Sturm's morning after II: Cowboys need more Butler in games like this

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 6, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,321 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    Posted at 1:14 PM on Mon., Dec. 6, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Bob Sturm / Contributor [IMG] Bio | [IMG] E-mail | [IMG] News tips

Further thoughts and observations from the exciting day at Lucas Oil Stadium:

* The breakout performance of Sean Lee happened yesterday, and it has been a long time coming.

* Even on a bad day, you have to marvel at Peyton Manning and the clinic that he and Reggie Wayne put on the Cowboys and for the most part Mike Jenkins.

* I think the Cowboys need to play more Victor Butler in games like these. Against the Saints and Colts, DeMarcus Ware had some very impressive plays where he treated the Colts Left Tackle, Curtis Johnson, like a rag doll. But, it sure seems like late fatigue is an issue with him and Anthony Spencer in the 4th Quarter when you simply must get to the QB.

* Jon Kitna has been very, very good during the Jason Garrett coaching era. I think the item that makes us all react is his fiery demeanor, but he is also making some very key throws at very key moments.

* Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis both got sacks yesterday on the bull rush.

* Alan Ball and Gerald Sensabaugh looked like different players yesterday. Congrats to both of them for making plays of great substance that made a difference.

* Different standards for different guys are a fact of life. In the NFL, your track record is the determining factor on whether you get a mulligan. So, when an emailer asks me why nobody jumps on Miles Austin for not knowing where the ball is like people would jump on Roy Williams, I say, track record.

* So, how do you almost lose a game in which you win the turnover battle by 4?

* Speaking of Time of Possession, the Cowboys had the ball by quarters as follows: 11:25, 4:44, 6:13, 12:47, and 4:51 in OT to out TOP the Colts, 40:00 to 27:05.

* The Dez Bryant injury certainly hurts, but we have seen enough from him as a rookie to know what we can count on in 2011.

Here comes Michael Vick and the Eagles next week, and NBC will have their first look at Dallas since the Green Bay debacle.

Read Bob's detailed observations: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/12/bob-sturms-morning-after-ii-co-1.html
  2. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Doesn't invalidate Sturm's point but a blocked punt for a TD narrows that 4-0 turnover differential.
  3. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,511 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Hey, we TRIED to even the turnover battle... at least McCann did.