1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Tony Romo defends Kevin Ogletree and Cowboys young receivers

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 30, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,088 Messages
    5,640 Likes Received
    ByDavid Moore / Reporter
    dmoore@dallasnews.com | Bio

12:06 PM on Fri., Sep. 30, 2011 | Permalink
    There were a lot of times in Monday's win over Washington that the receivers had no idea where to line up.

Quarterback Tony Romo remains one of their biggest supporters. He said the group has responded in practice and explained why things looked the way they did in that game.

"In their defense, sometimes they switch positions,'' Romo said. "They're not playing the Z or the X. Then all of a sudden your top two guys are out and they have to shuffle them around a little.

Read what else Romo says: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/tony-romo-defends-kevin-ogletr.html
  2. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

5,534 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    I think the game got too big for him. He'll be pivotal this week.... in a good way :)
  3. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Is that why he caught the most difficult pass of the game at the most critical juncture?

Otree has become the new whipping boy around here.

I agree he didn't play well last week but sometimes the opposition makes plays. Landry made a good play to cause the fumble. Felix has fumbled twice in the last two weeks on lesser hits yet he escapes criticism for this because the ball just happened to bounce back to him. Romo can be blamed on the "Otree endzone pass" because if he leads him properly instead of underthrowing it by 5 yards the defender isn't even in the picture while Otree celebrates in the endzone.
  4. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,745 Messages
    2,425 Likes Received
    But according to Galian Beast their assignments are exactly the same.

Dang Tony, way to shoot that theory all to hell.
  5. The Emperor

The Emperor Marcus Aurelius Maximus

3,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This is why, if you'll remember in 2006, Sam Hurd replaced Terry Glenn when Glenn was held out against the Cardinals. It would be much easier to keep Crayton as the Z than it would be make Crayton the X and make Hurd the Z.
  6. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,951 Messages
    1,235 Likes Received
    Again, is seems like you aren't comprehending.

I didn't say all their assignments we're the same. I said they learn all of the positions.

If you go to school, and you learn english, math, and science. I'm not saying that they're all the same, or that you're good at all of them. Simply saying that you're instructed in all of them. And the receivers are. Ogletree certainly. Robinson and Harris might not have been here long enough. I would assume Holley has been instructed in all 3 position, but again... Holley wasn't used nor was Harris.

We used Choice and Bennett rather than using Holley and Harris. That really shows you how they're developing at the moment.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kevin has to keep grinding and focusing!
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    i did say in the chatroom during the game that Ogletree was being such a goat that the way the game was going, it all but set up for him to be the hero in the end.......and if Tony hits him in stride....it is almost assuredly a TD. But instead he made a very nice catch on a ball thrown behind him. It wasn't complete redemption, but it was enough of one to help us get into FG range for the winning kick.
  9. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    btw, just remember the SF/GB game....TO dropped everything in sight including the eggs and the fine china....but Steve Young never lost faith....and with the game on the line, he through that pass between 2-3 defenders and TO remembered to wear his Stick em and he caught the pass and the Niners won the game.

Ogletree was living la vida TO out there on Monday, but Tony never lost faith, not that he had too many options, with half his playmakers hurting....and Ogletree pulled a TO and came through when we needed it the very most.
  10. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,951 Messages
    1,235 Likes Received
    I prefered a dropped pass than running the wrong route...
  11. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received

I dont know which one gave me the bigger Homer Simpson "DOH"

the play where he ran down the middle of the field like he was jogging through the park and it ended up being an INT, or the play inside the 5 where he simple stopped and watched Tony throw the ball outside where he should have been had he kept running.