1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Wade Phillips pleased with Montrae Holland's performance vs. San Diego

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 23, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    Posted at 7:45 PM on Mon., Aug. 23, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Todd Archer / Reporter [IMG] Bio | [IMG] E-mail | [IMG] News tips

Speaking for the first time since reviewing Saturday's game against San Diego, Wade Phillips liked what he saw from the offensive line, especially the work of left guard Montrae Holland.

He was so happy with Holland's work that he had the veteran break down the team at the close of practice and the team erupted into a Florida State war chant.

"You don't have to qualify it at all," Phillips said. "He played well."

Holland is likely to start the season opener at Washington with Kyle Kosier recovering from a knee injury.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/08/wade-phillips-pleased-with-mon.html
  2. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,670 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    I knew Holland would play well, he's a big strong dude and he's been around. He's definately quality backup and could actually start. I have no problem with him starting the opener. Also, Fat Albert won't be able to bullrush him..
  3. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I agree 100%
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Holland appears to be motivated... He's pretty good.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    He looked good the other night.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Hopefully Holland continues to work and improve, we really need to be able to count on him.
  7. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,958 Messages
    2,194 Likes Received
    I have an idea that may be somewhat controversial. If Holland continues to play well in Kosier's absence and demonstrates the acumen to handle stunts and twists consistently, would you consider allowing either him or Kosier to replace Davis once Kosier is healthy?
  8. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,658 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Yes. Yes, I would.
  9. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,911 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Definitely. Davis is fine once he gets his hands on someone, but anytime there's any type of stunting, twists, etc on the defensive line, he's the first to blow his assignment.
  10. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,638 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    Hell no. If you think Kosier is susceptable to the bull rush now, try lining him up in Davis's world.
  11. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,088 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Well, just put Holland on that side then! I am pretty tired of Davis truthfully, I believe he is the weak link up the middle in pass protection.
  12. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,460 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Holland has been an underrated piece of our line by a lot of folks on ths forum. It is good to have him in these situations.