1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Bob Sturm: How to judge Jason Garrett's first game as Cowboys coach

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 13, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Winter is Here Staff Member

61,718 Messages
    5,094 Likes Received
    Bob Strum

I normally provide a Friday Game Plan for the upcoming Cowboys game, but I must admit that this week has a distinctly different feel to it and therefore I have decided to go in a distinctly different direction today.

Having been asked all week what I wish to see from new Head Coach Jason Garrett, I thought it would be a great time to go over a realistic list of expectations prior to his team taking the field for the 2nd half of the 2010 season. His task will not be easy, but let's detail what needs to happen.

There are a number of things from a football perspective that need to get better: A better rushing attack, a more able pass rush, more takeaways, better pass coverage, and simply a more physical football team come to mind. Beyond that, competition for each position on the field would be a welcome addition. Fact is, at 1-7, nobody should be assured their spot in the lineup or on the roster. If someone feels like they are owed something and they should automatically have their position, then as Jason Garrett said, "find the door". Nothing is a given anymore. Prove you deserve a spot. Competition is the new theme of the Dallas Cowboys. Win your spot.

Read More http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/11/rmally-provide-a-friday-game.html
  2. The Fonz

The Fonz Correctamundo

1,376 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Thank you sir for posting this very great read:

(( Meanwhile, on defense, the blitz never gets to the QB. The powerful pass rush is gone. The trademark of the Wade Phillips era was a dominating defense that could win a game by itself. It has evolved into a group of 11 guys who are as solid as a sieve. The run doesn't get stopped anymore. Overall, the Cowboys defenders do not overpower anyone this season. To make matters worse, the hits in the secondary seem rather harmless, and the overall tackling is without conviction or message. ))
  3. The Fonz

The Fonz Correctamundo

1,376 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I like this part:

(( This isn't a matter of playing more 3 WR offense or less Shotgun. Nor is it a matter of calling more blitzes or man-to-man coverage. It is competing. It is refusing to be denied. It is eliminating excuses and welcoming the challenges that are all around you in the NFL.

In short, on offense and defense, this team doesn't resemble a team that is ready for a street fight. Rather, they resemble a team that has been coddled and assured that they are entitled to something wonderful without having to earn it. The glamor of the Dallas Cowboys brand name has given them the impression that success is owed to them. They embody their label of being members of a "country club" where they would like to win, but it surely is not a matter of life or death.))
  4. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,167 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Our defense has the easiest blitzes to block...if they just add in a few new blitzes and catch the other team off guard, we may actually get some turnovers..
  5. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    "But, there is no reason why Buffalo and Cleveland can play competitive football every week and the Cowboys cannot keep a game close until halftime."

Ouch!

Being told you are worse than Buffalo and Cleveland should let this team know exactly what people think of them.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,989 Messages
    4,955 Likes Received
    Good read. Getting this team to play in a winning way will be difficult.
  7. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,796 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    Did anyone else hear The Battle Hymm Republic playing in the background as you read?
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,717 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Kitna's a better QB than he's being given credit for. Having Romo out should not be an excuse to not win games with the rest of this roster.