1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Breaking Down the ‘Boys: Preseason Week 1 Film Study

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 15, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,225 Messages
    7,045 Likes Received
    By jonathanbales
    jonathan@thedctimes.com
    10:28 am on August 14, 2012 | Permalink

After watching the Cowboys’ preseason opener in Oakland, one thing is clear; from the top of the roster to the bottom, this team still has a long way to go. Neither the first-team offense nor the first-team defense got a ton of work on Monday night, so the majority of the struggles came from second and third-team players. Some of those guys won’t be on the team come September, but great football teams tend to possess depth, and I’m not sure the Cowboys have that right now.

Below, I’ll break down two plays: one from the second-team defense and one from the second-team offense. I’ll be doing similar breakdowns throughout the season here at SportsDayDFW.com, so feel free to e-mail me after games to let me know which plays you want to see analyzed.

Second-Team Defense
    Following the two-minute warning in the second quarter, the Raiders faced a 3rd and 2 at the 25-yard line. They initially lined up in “Spread” before motioning the slot receiver to the left side to create a “Trips Bunch” look (three receivers packed tightly near the offensive line). Offenses often run crossing routes out of Bunch in short-yardage situations.

[IMG]

The Cowboys showed blitz prior to the snap. When the Raiders’ receiver motioned, Cowboys cornerback Mario Butler followed him. This alerted to Raiders quarterback Matt Leinart that the Cowboys were in man coverage.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2012/08/breaking-down-the-boys-preseason-week-1-film-study.html/