1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Buehler who? Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey hits third winning field goal

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Juke99, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Buehler who? Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey hits third winning field goal

ByBrandon George

ARLINGTON - Undrafted rookie kicker Dan Bailey continues to be one of the big reasons why the Cowboys are in first place in the NFC East.

For the third time this season, Bailey made a game-winning field goal for the Cowboys. Just four days earlier, Bailey made a 39-yard field goal to give the Cowboys a 27-24 win at Washington. On Thursday, Bailey's 28-yard field goal as time expired gave the Cowboys a 20-19 win over Miami.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/11/cowboys-kicker-dan-bailey-cont.html
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,152 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Amazing what a difference having a real kicker is. How many of these W's would be L's if we trotted out some of our old BS kickers???

How many games were decided by a missed FG over the past 10 years?
  3. Shotgun Dave

Shotgun Dave Well-Known Member

1,483 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    So...why is Buehler still here then?
  4. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,893 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I do note that Buehler was out there, giving Bailey some major love. I'm not sure what JJ has planned for the future kicking game, but Bailey has been Mr consistency. A lot of us felt the same about Nick Folk until his game went south. Hard to tell with kickers. Just ask Hos.;)
  5. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,532 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    Baily has 4 game winning FGs not 3.

49ers: Overtime FG
    Wash: 1:47 left in 4th to take lead
    Wash: Overtime FG
    Miami: Last second FG
  6. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,125 Messages
    896 Likes Received
    Unbelievable. Bailey's performance on field goals has nothing to do with the decision to keep Buehler around. A lousy kickoff by Bailey led to 3 Miami points at the end of the half - get a touchback there and those points don't happen.

With our kickoff coverage playing well earlier in the season, I figured Buehler was clearly not worth the roster spot. The way the coverage is playing now, though, I think we may miss him.
  7. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    Actually that number wouldn't even begin to show the true value of having a dependable kicker. In recent years, we would have gone for it on 4th down unless the kick was around 30 yards or less to avoid having to depend on a kicker.

#reality
  8. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Correct -- I shake my head at the quality of reporting at the DMN these days, or maybe I should say the lack thereof.