1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Chat: Fraley: Cowboys will regret not going after safety O.J. Atogwe

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 8, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,238 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    By SportsDayDFW
    Published 08 March 2011 12:16 AM

Gerry Fraley, Cowboys beat writer for SportsDayDFW.com and The Dallas Morning News, answered your questions about the team in a live chat on Monday. Here are some of the highlights:

Why do you think that the Cowboys are dead in the free agent market where there were people to be gotten?
    Free-agent market has not really opened yet. Players who have signed were released.

wondered if Cowboys Stadium had become an onerous burden on Jerry Jones but have been told that is not the case. need to see evidence of that.

Best guess is Cowboys are more interested in Huff (Oakland) and Elam (Cleveland ) as free agents over Atogwe and Sanders. they might regret passing on atogwe. Landry and Atogwe give Washington a top-shelf pair of safeties.

What was the decision behind not going after O.J. Atogwe? It made no sense.
    I was very surprised the Cowboys did not get involved in atogwe. He is what this team needs at free safety.

that said, maybe Jones is more intersted in Elam, Huff of maybe even Waddel (San Diego). I'll say now the Cowboys will regret not moving on Atogwe.

You can read the rest of the chat here.

Read more from the blog: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...regret-not-going-after-safety-o.j.-atogwe.ece
  2. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,220 Messages
    283 Likes Received
  3. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,487 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    No...They won't.

He's just a guy...granted, we don't have "just a guy" at that position, but I have a feeling they are hoping for more this year from the group of guys they have or from someone new.
  4. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Atogwe is turns 30 this year and signed a 5 year deal. At best, he would've been a decent stopgap upgrade over Alan Ball...AT BEST. He's not a cornerstone player, he's a transition player. With that said, I'd be much more inclined to address the position via the draft or going after a younger guy like Huff.

Why is everyone freaking out that we didn't make any moves? Yes we have holes to fill, but that doesn't mean we should pull a Dan Snyder and sign the first in line.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I like Atogwe but he is not the only option out there. As for the Skins I don't care how they spend their cash it does not seem to have paid off
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,617 Messages
    2,507 Likes Received
    Well if he is just a guy then there are about 55+ starting safeties in the league that are bad to terrible.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Give me Michael Huff and Sensabaugh and I'm good.
  8. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,487 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    If he was one of the top safeties in the league, why did the Rams allow him to become a free agent and walk? especially when they are finally challenging for the playoffs?

He signed for over 5 million per year...that's top of the line safety help, and the Rams could have easily paid him that if they thought he was worth it.

You don't have to go to the pro bowl to be a good player in the NFL, but is he going to the probowl at 5 million per year?

I'm glad Jerry didn't get into a bidding war with Dan Snyder for a player who isn't an all star free agent. Snyder paying the guy this much seems to indicate that Landry may move to SS...interesting.
  9. burntricersx

burntricersx Member

506 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe Landry was moved to SS because he was better closer to the LOS and he couldn't cover if you gave him a blanket. He was having a defensive MVP caliber year until his Achilles injury ended his season.
  10. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,612 Messages
    492 Likes Received

and conversely, you don't have to be that good of a good player to go to the pro bowl (see Gurode/Davis) but I digress,,,,
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    He had an 8 million dollar salary this season. It was set up that way so he could become a free agent. That's what he wanted, the rams tried to keep him as long as they could.
  12. TheIceman

TheIceman Member

130 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Everytime we miss on someone, I feel like all of us try to downplay how good the player we missed on really was. In this case, I'm not taking the bait. We missed BAD. Atogwe was the best free safety on the market and yeah he's 30 but he didn't start playing until his mid-20s anyway so he doesn't have a lot of wear on him. AND he's a ball-magnet. Huff is pretty good, but he's not as good as Atogwe. And somehow we let our rivals grab him? Unreal.