1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Chat replay: A talk with SportsDay columnist Rick Gosselin

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 7, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

27,085 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    4 hours ago
    I feel pretty good about this up and coming year,even if we lost a few really good players this year,if we can have a great draft like last year,and picking up melton,if we can get him back to probowl form.It is about time that we stop over paying for players at the end of their carrer,OR THEY HAVE A GREAT CONTRACT YEAR AND WE SIGN THEM TO A LONG BIG DOLLOR CONTRACT EXTENSION AND THEY NEVER REPEAT THAT KIND OF PERFORMANCE AGAIN AND THEN WE CUT THEM TWO OR THREE YAERS LATER,WHAT IS YOR THOUGHTS
    ralph elkins

4 hours ago
    Any reason for optimism should stem from the fact the Cowboys are finally doing right by the salary cap. They have become more wise in their spending and roster assessment. Whether you agree or nt with the decisions to part ways with Jay Ratliff, DeMarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher, it was the right thing to do. You couldn't carry players at their ages at those price tags in a salary cap world. Signing a young, Pro owl-caliber talent like Henry Melton at a club friendly contract was another step in the right direction. The key, now, is that the Cowboys have to draft well. Every time you miss on a draft pick, you wind up overspending to correct the mistake in free agency. The Cowboys have too many misses on draft day and too many overcompensations in free agency. That's how they got into this mess. There's only one way now to get out -- draft well.
    Rick Gosselin

4 hours ago
    If the Cowboys draft an offensive player in the first round, do you think that they can fill their defensive needs with their remaining draft picks?
    Joseph

4 hours ago
    When you have the worst defense in the NFL -- arguably the worst defense in the history of your franchise -- you don't fix it by focusing on offense in the draft. When they Cowboys go on the clock at 16, there will probably 3-4 candidates for the pick, all with roughly the same grade. I'd be surprised if they don't pull a defender out of that grouping. When you lose a Ware, a Hatcher and a Ratliff all in the last six months -- impact players for this franchise -- you need to replace them with impact players. You get impact in the first round. I'd go DL with my first three picks. You win in the NFL up front.
    Rick Gosselin

4 hours ago
    Anthony Barr has been consider a top 10 prospect, but seems to be falling in recent mock drafts. If he gets to 16, should the Cowboys take him?
    Aaron (Dallas)

4 hours ago
    I really like Barr, but you'd be asking him to make a position switch. He was a linebacker in college with pass rush skills. Rod Marinelli would want that guy at end in this scheme. The position switch would slow him down a tad as a rookie, but he's going to be a good player at the next level.

Continue reading...

Click here to enjoy the chat on your mobile and tablet devices.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,374 Messages
    4,321 Likes Received
    Goose Q&A... Have at it.
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,032 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    He's not always right, but it is hard to argue with Gosselin on this point in my opinion.
  4. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,721 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    He's right about the Cowboys needing impact players but only Hatcher was an impact player last year. They need at least one impact player on defense in the 1st and more rotational guys in rounds 3-5.
    BigStar and jobberone like this.
  5. DallasEast

28,032 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    Ware and Ratliff were both being counted as impact players before the start of last season. Ratliff ratted out and Ware performed only so-so much of the year. Replacements must be made regardless of the players' actual on-the-field (or complete lack thereof) performance. I think that's what Gosselin is referring to.
    jobberone likes this.
  6. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,529 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Not a bad chat. I was surprised to hear that he thinks the recent decisions have been solid - I do agree though. Tough decisions that good teams make.

The Ratliff deal still chaps my *** though. The way the whole thing shook down just stinks and having him suit up for the Bears against us right after being released was salt in the wound. I still think we should be compensated for that BS scene Ratliff and his agent presented.

Hatcher was an impact player for half of one season. Where was he the last four or five games? Coasting to a contract. Good riddance. I pray we get Donald every night before I go to bed.....I am not kidding!
    BIGDen and jobberone like this.
  7. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,442 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    It's makes so much sense for the Boys to take a OL or DL in the first. Therefore I'm convinced Jerry will trade down a couple spots and "steal" a RB
    Telling my wife to remove all razor blades from the house. Lol
    ShiningStar, BigStar and jobberone like this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    "Click here to enjoy the chat on your mobile and tablet devices."

WG, something's wrong with this link, I think. I clicked on it, expecting to enjoy the chat on my mobile device, but it was the same stupid points just on a smaller screen. I didn't enjoy it at all.

Can you let somebody at DMN know? Thanks in advance.
    pancakeman likes this.
  9. yentl911

1,529 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Gee I hope not. We need lineman, lineman, and then more lineman. Jerry should be able to figure out that the bedrock soul of the teams from the early 90's was a massive, talented O-Line that could impose their will on teams and a rotating relentless D-Line that would wear an offensive line down.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    There has never been a more undervalued position on our team. If we ever spend more than a 4th on one I'll scream.
    jobberone likes this.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,355 Messages
    3,643 Likes Received
    Risen is that you?
    jobberone likes this.
  12. DallasEast

28,032 Messages
    1,563 Likes Received
    I'm not sure Jones needs very much convincing about drafting upgrades for the defensive line. Last season was a testament illustrating lack of pressure applied by your front four lineman. It got pretty bad. At one point during the Bears game, I thought Josh McCown had so much time he was enjoying the game with a beer and pizza. The offseason free agent acquisitions are not going to cut it alone. They need help. He got tired of defenders running up the gut in the face of his quarterback when he drafted Travis Fredericks last year. I think the weekly defensive failures last season are too much for Jones to automatically dismiss this May.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    BigStar, jazzcat22 and yentl911 like this.
  13. yentl911

1,529 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I hope you are right. It needs to be addressed - not only in the draft but I hope they kick more than a few tires of UDFA's as well.
  14. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,302 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Felix Jones says hello.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,612 Messages
    3,344 Likes Received
    I don't agree we should pick three DL with the first three picks but if it happens I won't be too upset. I do think we should consider a pass rusher whether it is DE or DT. And we should come away with two DL by the end of the draft and I'd prefer those to be from day 1 and/or 2.

We should be looking at a safety in the first and second and there's value there this year. We shouldn't mind looking at a CB or fast coverage LB either in the first four rounds. I won't be upset about an OL in there somewhere.
    SilverStarCowboy likes this.
  16. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,643 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Nothing to argue with here
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,289 Likes Received
    I don't, either. I'd say it's a very high likelihood we draft for need with that first pick, because it seems like we have recently here under Garrett: Smith, Frederick. That means getting in position to take a WDE if we can, or going DL in a pinch if we can't. After that, I think we go BPA within a fairly tight allowance, meaning a near-tie goes to the defense. But only in cases where the players really are bunched up.
    I wouldn't mind three DLs necessarily, but only if we can position things where that's where the value is. Otherwise, I'd prefer to just take the best rated players and the heck with it.
    jobberone likes this.
  18. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    What he said ^^^^^^...there ARE several later Round DTs that could be in a productive rotation this season, targeting DT, Offensive Guard, WR, RB, QB and FS in a deep Draft with the (6) 7th round choices.
    jobberone likes this.
  19. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,361 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    In Hatch's defense, he had a pretty good shoulder injury that sidelined him for a game or two if I recall, and yet still did a decent job injured. But that just speaks to our entire defense as a whole. Who wasn't injured; especially key guys???

Some in here still DO NOT consider that as an excuse for our recent woes and going 8-8. But I will... every MF time.

In the end, I am glad Hatcher is gone. I did not want to pay him for finally getting over the hump and contributing more than just a solid player. Hatch became impact at a late age. Not worth the risk in a contract year. It was time to move on. Smart move by Cowboy's brass.

Let's build our defense, starting May 8th! Manziel at 16 anyone?? LMAO
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,612 Messages
    3,344 Likes Received
    I don't think we should use all those draft picks this year unless it's to move up or trade for next year. But that's besides the point. You're right. We should be looking for impact players whatever their position is but esp DL, S, LB and CB as well as WR and certain RBs.