1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Claiborne draft-day deal reminiscent of Cowboys' trade to get Russell Maryland

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 27, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,090 Messages
    5,648 Likes Received
    ByRainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com | Bio

11:59 PM on Thu., Apr. 26, 2012 | Permalink
    IRVING -- Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has orchestrated a lot of trades on draft days. There have been 59 of them to be exact. But it's been a long time since he made one with the same kind of sizzle as the deal with St. Louis that allowed Dallas to grab LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne with the sixth overall pick.

In fact, one must hearken back to the Jimmy Johnson era, in 1991, to find an exchange of picks as consequential as the one that took place Thursday. That year, the Cowboys sent the Patriots the 11th overall choice and a second-round pick to New England to move into the top position in the entire draft order. The Cowboys then drafted defensive tackle Russell Maryland.

"It's been a while since we moved up this far, especially in the sweet part of the draft when elite players are working," said Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/04/party-like-its-1991-claiborne.html
  2. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I used the Russel Maryland trade as an example of how much we overpaid yet didn't see any negative reaction from any local media.
  3. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

1,977 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    "I like the idea of going up for quality because it diminishes the chance of a bad pick," he said. "It's easier for me. Anytime I have gone for a bargain, I have a tough time seeing my success ratio being acceptable. Anytime I have overpaid, like buying the Dallas Cowboys, I seem to be successful."

Joey Galloway and Roy Williams called to say thanks.
  4. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,098 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    They weren't trying for Maryland, the move was for Raghib Ismael, who unfortunately took a big bag of Bruce McNall's 'funny' money to Canada.
  5. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,085 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    I compare it more to the trade up to #2 to get Dorsett